Diane Keaton: I Was Bulimic for 5 Years
- Photo: WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News2 of 6
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Locke' Review: Tom Hardy Captivates in This One-Man Road TripMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:39:00 PM
- NBC's Comedy Playground Slammed With Trademark Infringement, Unfair Competition SuitMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:16:00 PM
- MTV Renews 'Real World' and 'Teen Wolf,' Slates 3 New SeriesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:06:00 PM
- Gov. Brown Getting the Message on California's Film, TV Tax Credit TroublesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 1:08:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence, Calls Abuse Allegations "Vicious and Completely False"MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 1:07:00 PM
- 'Locke' Review: Tom Hardy Captivates in This One-Man Road Trip
Diane Keaton is a legendary actress known for her unique style, natural grace, and quirky charm. In her new memoir, "Then Again," the Oscar-winning actress, 65, reveals she suffered from bulimia at the age of 19, and grew up with a poor self-image. "I was friendly looking, no Candice Bergen. The smile maybe, was all I had," she wrote in her book of blond actress Bergen, now 65, who also became a star in the '70s.
The "Annie Hall" star developed the eating disorder bulimia in 1965 when a Broadway director cast her as an understudy for the role of Sheila in the musical "Hair" with one condition: that she lose 10 pounds. Desperate to win the part, the actress obliged to the director's demands.
In her memoir, Keaton writes that psychoanalysis helped her recover from her five-year-long battle with bulimia and body dysmorphia. Her major stride was gaining control one day, to not "open a half a gallon of rocky road ice cream," she writes.
Keaton now lives in Los Angeles and has two adopted children, daughter Dexter, 15, and son Duke, 10. Although the actress never married, she's dated a string of Hollywood heavyweights -- including Woody Allen (she says she was sick for part of their romance but that he never knew), Warren Beatty and Al Pacino -- and Steve Jobs.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Weight Loss
From Crowd Ignite