Diane Keaton: I Was Bulimic for 5 Years
- Photo: WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News2 of 6
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWraMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:29:00 PM
- Bill O'Reilly Cuts Vacation Short to Cover Ferguson, Ratings RiseMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo Cast in Syfy Space Opera 'The Expanse'MSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:37:00 PM
- Ferguson's Mike Brown Memorial Campaign Has Raised Less Than Officer Darren Wilson&aposMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Consumer Groups Urge FCC to Reject Comcast/Time Warner Cable DealMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 2:50:00 PM
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWra
Diane Keaton is a legendary actress known for her unique style, natural grace, and quirky charm. In her new memoir, "Then Again," the Oscar-winning actress, 65, reveals she suffered from bulimia at the age of 19, and grew up with a poor self-image. "I was friendly looking, no Candice Bergen. The smile maybe, was all I had," she wrote in her book of blond actress Bergen, now 65, who also became a star in the '70s.
The "Annie Hall" star developed the eating disorder bulimia in 1965 when a Broadway director cast her as an understudy for the role of Sheila in the musical "Hair" with one condition: that she lose 10 pounds. Desperate to win the part, the actress obliged to the director's demands.
In her memoir, Keaton writes that psychoanalysis helped her recover from her five-year-long battle with bulimia and body dysmorphia. Her major stride was gaining control one day, to not "open a half a gallon of rocky road ice cream," she writes.
Keaton now lives in Los Angeles and has two adopted children, daughter Dexter, 15, and son Duke, 10. Although the actress never married, she's dated a string of Hollywood heavyweights -- including Woody Allen (she says she was sick for part of their romance but that he never knew), Warren Beatty and Al Pacino -- and Steve Jobs.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Watch as Lynda Carter talks about the old vs. the new "Wonder Woman" costume.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite