Diane Kruger: 'I punished many boys for my lack of a father figure'
- Photo: Joseph Kerlakian/Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: Splash News2 of 11
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Jayme Oak/Splash News4 of 11
- Photo: Teach/Fame Flynet5 of 11
- Photo: AO1/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: VPCD/GSI9 of 11
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage10 of 11
More Celeb News
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:25 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 12:25:10 PM
- Man fatally shot backstage at California concertMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 12:25:01 PM
- Snake Bites Nicki Minaj's Backup Dancer at VMA RehearsalMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 10:15:00 AM
- VIDEO: Watch the First Five Minutes of Lifetime's Saved By the Bell MovieMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:31:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Posts Video of Stage Fall on InstagramMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:24:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:25 p.m. EDT
Diane Kruger has been madly in love with Joshua Jackson for the past seven years -- a source recently told Us Weekly the "Fringe" actor is planning to propose -- but in the August 2013 issue of Marie Claire U.K., Kruger reveals her past relationships weren't nearly as solid.
To make sense of her life, the "Host" star decided to see a therapist six years ago. "For a long time I felt that I was so accomplished. 'Oh, I speak three languages, I travel the world, I've seen so many things.' But when I turned 30 I realized I was an idiot," she explains. "I didn't know s--- about anything."
The L.A.-based star explains that "therapy's not about getting help; it's facilitating yourself to deal better with life in general." Though it can be a taboo topic in her home country, Kruger has no qualms about discussing her treatment. "My friends ask, 'What's wrong with you?' But here everyone talks about [therapy], and I really like that about America."
Kruger, who was born and raised in Germany, credits regular therapy sessions with improving her romantic relationships. "Oh, I'm sure I punished many boys for my lack of a father figure. And I'm sure I dated many men who were much older than the men I should have been dating," says the star, who was wed to French actor and filmmaker Guillaume Canet from 2001 to 2006. "But at the end of the day, I'm not bitter. I love men. I want a family myself. I'm not angry with him anymore."
Life with Jackson is better than ever, though Kruger readily admits that it's not a fairy tale. "All relationships are hard," she reasons. "It doesn't matter what job you have, or how famous or miserable or poor you are. It's about commitment."
"The hard part is the timing. When you meet someone, are you ready to make them your number one priority? There's never going to be a role more interesting than my own life," Kruger, 36, tells Marie Claire U.K. "I'm grateful that I met a person who feels the same not just about me, but also about our relationship. But therapy helps, too."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
From Gwen Stefani to Britney Spears, check out some of the best all-time style moments from the Teen Choice Awards.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Kerry Washington and more stars who've married football stars.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite