Director Scorsese urges NYC to preserve Bowery
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/TNYF/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: MICHAEL SAWYER/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: VPE/WENN3 of 7
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com4 of 7
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Ron Galella/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Metro Los Angeles Removes 'Red Band Society' Bus Ads for 'Offensive LanguMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 1:44:00 PM
- 'Super 8's' Gabriel Basso Joins Tom Hanks in Meg Ryan's DirectorMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 1:29:00 PM
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as CEO of OracleMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 1:28:00 PM
- NFL Player Jonathan Dwyer Beat Wife and Son, According to PoliceMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 1:27:00 PM
- Adrian Peterson's Mother Defends Suspended NFL Star's Violent Discipline: &apoMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 1:24:00 PM
- Metro Los Angeles Removes 'Red Band Society' Bus Ads for 'Offensive Langu
NEW YORK (AP) -- Famed director Martin Scorsese wants New York's mean streets to keep some of their grittiness.
The "Gangs of New York" director has joined an effort to curb redevelopment of the Bowery. That's the former skid row near where Scorsese grew up.
Scorsese wrote to New York City Planning Commission Chairwoman Amanda Burden last week. He praises the neighborhood's grittiness, ambience and vivid atmosphere.
Scorsese is backing a plan that would limit the height of new development on the east side of the Bowery to eight stories. The plan also calls for preserving several historic buildings.
Planning Department spokeswoman Rachaele Raynoff tells the Daily News the agency has not made a ruling. She says the department recognizes and appreciates the Bowery's historic value.
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHooking Up?
From Crowd Ignite