Director Scorsese urges NYC to preserve Bowery
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/TNYF/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: MICHAEL SAWYER/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: VPE/WENN3 of 7
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com4 of 7
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Ron Galella/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Jerry Bruckheimer, Paramount Reach 3 Year, First Look DealMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:54:27 AM
- Early Ratings: 'Sound of Music' Looks Like a Hit for NBCMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:46:24 AM
- Jimmy Kimmel Reminds Viewers Just How Sensitive Los Angeles Reporters Are To 'Cold&aposMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:43:14 AM
- Jon Stewart on Fox Commentator's Brave Stance Against the Pope (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:37:11 AM
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auctionMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:30:59 AM
- Jerry Bruckheimer, Paramount Reach 3 Year, First Look Deal
NEW YORK (AP) -- Famed director Martin Scorsese wants New York's mean streets to keep some of their grittiness.
The "Gangs of New York" director has joined an effort to curb redevelopment of the Bowery. That's the former skid row near where Scorsese grew up.
Scorsese wrote to New York City Planning Commission Chairwoman Amanda Burden last week. He praises the neighborhood's grittiness, ambience and vivid atmosphere.
Scorsese is backing a plan that would limit the height of new development on the east side of the Bowery to eight stories. The plan also calls for preserving several historic buildings.
Planning Department spokeswoman Rachaele Raynoff tells the Daily News the agency has not made a ruling. She says the department recognizes and appreciates the Bowery's historic value.
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite