Drew Barrymore on Her Mother: 'We Can't Really Be in Each Other's Lives at This Point'
- Photo: Jan Welters/Marie Claire1 of 18
- Photo: Jan Welters/Marie Claire2 of 18
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com3 of 18
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks5 of 18
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Dave Spencer/Splash News7 of 18
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA8 of 18
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 18
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America10 of 18
- Photo: JOAR/GSI11 of 18
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com12 of 18
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks13 of 18
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN14 of 18
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet15 of 18
- Photo: Kristina Bumphrey/StarTraks16 of 18
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media GroupMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:37:00 PM
- Managers Call SAG-AFTRA's Code of Ethics 'DOA' After SurveyMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:31:00 PM
- FX's 'Archer' Renewed for 2 More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Insiders: Andrew Garfield Rewrote Batkid Oscars Speech, Thought Segment Was ExploitativeMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:54:00 PM
- CW's Uncensored 'Reign' Sex Scenes Are 'Appalling,' SayMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media Group
By all accounts, Drew Barrymore is now an ecstatically happy married mother pregnant with her second child -- but the actress, designer and former child star, 38, remains estranged from her mother Jaid Barrymore.
"Ugh, I mean, my relationship with my mom is so complicated," the designer tells the February issue of Marie Claire. Back in the late '80s, the precocious "E.T." actress famously entered rehab at age 14 and, at 15, successfully petitioned for juvenile emancipation from her parents, moving into her own apartment; her relationship with Jaid, now 67, has been rocky ever since. (Part of the storied Barrymore acting dynasty, Drew's father, John Drew Barrymore, died at age 72 back in 2004.)
"I've always been empathetic toward my mom, and I was even more so when I had a kid and we had a really amazing conversation about it," the "Big Miracle" actress reveals. "However, [becoming a mom] hasn't enabled me to lessen the distance. It's the hardest subject in my life. I've never just been angry with her. I've always felt guilt and empathy and utter sensitivity. But we can’t really be in each other's lives at this point."
Barrymore delves further into her troubled upbringing: "When I was a kid, everything was so unplanned, my parents were so erratic, and my world was so inconsistent," says the producer, who wed art consultant Will Kopelman in June 2012 and is mom to Olive, 15 months. "I was 14 when I moved into my own apartment. I was so scared. I didn’t know anything. I didn’t know you had to throw food out when it rotted in the fridge. I was convinced someone was going to crawl through my window. I would go to the Laundromat and sit there reading Anne Sexton, Sylvia Plath."
That lonely, scary past made Barrymore treasure her friendships as a young woman. "I hated growing up alone. I hated it," says the star, whose close friends include Cameron Diaz, among others. "I don't f--- anyone over. My friends are the loves my life."
She also has her in-laws. "This is so safe and positive and healthy because they have their values intact," the twice-divorced star gushes of the NYC-based Kopelman clan.
Hubby Will Kopelman, meanwhile, also opens up in the mag about falling in love with the star. "Sometimes whom you least expect is the person you fall for," he says. "It was a combination of moments: watching her with my nephew. Traveling with her. Going to museums with her. I knew, adding them up, this was it."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite