Ed Norton, Snoop Lion, Jonah Hill to play 'Words With Friends' for charity
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 13
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 13
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA3 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: Nam Y. Huh/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: KEVORK DJANSEZIAN/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Denise Truscello/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Look out, Alec Baldwin.
RELATED: Star Slipups: Forgiven & Forgotten?
Edward Norton, Jonah Hill, Snoop Dogg and several other stars are slated to play in a celebrity tournament of the popular online game "Words With Friends" for charity. The celebs will begin facing off against each other in matches of Zynga's Scrabble-like word-building game on Sept. 27.
Norton, who is playing for the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Fund, is confident that he will dominate the tournament, which also includes such celebrity players as Eva Longoria, Kristen Bell and John Legend — but not Baldwin — vying for $500,000 in prize money for their charities from American Express.
"I have to give myself time-outs on 'Words With Friends,'" said Norton in a telephone interview Monday. "I've gone through phases where I'm like, 'What am I doing? This is much too much of my day.'"
"Words With Friends" players will be able to join their favorite stars' teams during the "Words With Friends Celebrity Challenge," as well as watch the celebrity matchups online and donate to their charities through Norton's fundraising site, CrowdRise.com.
RELATED: Celebrity Quirks and Phobias
"We had the idea to do a celebrity tournament some time ago when it became apparent that the game was a hit among celebrities," said Travis Boatman, senior vice president of mobile at Zynga Inc. "It seems like everyone from Katie Couric to Snoop Lion is into the game. It's really inspirational for the team to see how 'Words With Friends' has become part of the cultural mainstream, and I think it has struck a chord because it's not just a game; it's a way for people to connect and keep in touch with each other."
In the first round, Norton said he'll face Boston Celtics captain Paul "The Truth" Pierce, who is playing for his foundation, The Truth Fund.
"I think it's going to be a tough first round for him," teased Norton. "I think it's great that he has a cause he supports, and I hope the amount he gets from just the first round is going to make him happy because I don't think it's going to go past there."
The brainy "Moonrise Kingdom" and "The Bourne Legacy" actor, who graduated from Yale University with a history degree, said his stiffest competition might come from Snoop Dogg, who has recently been going by the name Snoop Lion, because of the rapper's experience with wordplay.
And what about Baldwin? Why isn't the "30 Rock" actor, who was booted from a flight last year for refusing to stop playing "Words With Friends" on his phone, among the contenders?
"Next year, for sure, if I have any say in it," said Norton. "I'm going to win this year, so adding him to the mix next year will make it interesting for me."
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite