Emma Watson: Fashion Helped Prove I Was Something Outside of 'Harry Potter'
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 13
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com10 of 13
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Justin Bartha, Wife Welcome Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 7:45:00 AM
- New Lego Movie Hits Tribeca But This One's a DocumentaryMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 6:07:00 AM
- Tribeca Docs on Government Spying: 'What Was Illegal Under Nixon Is Legal Under Obama&aMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 9:25:00 PM
- Cloning Around: Orphan Black Resurrects the (Presumed) DeadMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:00:00 PM
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to PromMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Justin Bartha, Wife Welcome Baby Girl
From the beginning, Emma Watson wanted to show the world that she had a flair for stepping out in style, which meant wearing what other young actresses her age were afraid to wear.
"The press destroyed me over this Rodarte dress I wore once: It was bright blue with chains on it," the star told U.K. newspaper The Independent about stepping out in the daring number as a 19-year-old in 2009. "I loved it. And I wore a leather Christopher Kane dress [in 2010] with embroidered flowers all over it. It wasn't that crazy, but at the time…"
As it turns out, the 21-year-old Brit was able to fashion (no pun intended) her eye for style into a trait she became known for. (She landed a campaign for Burberry in 2009 and is currently the face for Lancome.) That, she says, helped balance out the fact that she'll forever be known as Hermione Granger from "Harry Potter."
"Fashion gave me a chance to feel like I was something outside of 'Potter,'" she said. "I'm a multidimensional person, and that's the freedom of fashion: that you're able to reinvent yourself through how you dress and how you cut your hair or whatever."
That couldn't be closer to the truth. Before the pixie cut was worn by Ashlee Simpson and Katherine Heigl, Watson made it famous when she chopped off her brunette locks in 2010, and she has been rocking the style ever since.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 2014 Royal Tour on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop inside Porsha Williams and Kenya Moore's fight and much more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
The Kind Mama
The actress and New York Times best-selling author talks to WW's Chris Gardner about her new book, "The Kind Mama," having more kids, and a "Clueless" sequel...Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite