Emma Watson: Fashion Helped Prove I Was Something Outside of 'Harry Potter'
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 13
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com10 of 13
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
From the beginning, Emma Watson wanted to show the world that she had a flair for stepping out in style, which meant wearing what other young actresses her age were afraid to wear.
"The press destroyed me over this Rodarte dress I wore once: It was bright blue with chains on it," the star told U.K. newspaper The Independent about stepping out in the daring number as a 19-year-old in 2009. "I loved it. And I wore a leather Christopher Kane dress [in 2010] with embroidered flowers all over it. It wasn't that crazy, but at the time…"
As it turns out, the 21-year-old Brit was able to fashion (no pun intended) her eye for style into a trait she became known for. (She landed a campaign for Burberry in 2009 and is currently the face for Lancome.) That, she says, helped balance out the fact that she'll forever be known as Hermione Granger from "Harry Potter."
"Fashion gave me a chance to feel like I was something outside of 'Potter,'" she said. "I'm a multidimensional person, and that's the freedom of fashion: that you're able to reinvent yourself through how you dress and how you cut your hair or whatever."
That couldn't be closer to the truth. Before the pixie cut was worn by Ashlee Simpson and Katherine Heigl, Watson made it famous when she chopped off her brunette locks in 2010, and she has been rocking the style ever since.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite