Engaged Johnny Depp shows off 'chick's ring'
- Photo: Alexander F. Yuan/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Arnold Wells/WENN2 of 14
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: TS/Pacific Coast News4 of 14
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/Invision/AP5 of 14
- Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America6 of 14
- Photo: Getty Images North America7 of 14
- Photo: WENN/WENN8 of 14
- Photo: WENN9 of 14
- Photo: Invision/AP10 of 14
- Photo: WENN11 of 14
- Photo: Retna Digital12 of 14
- Photo: Gonzalo Fuentes/Reuters13 of 14
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Asked whether he was engaged, the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star replied: "The fact that I'm wearing a chick's ring on my finger is probably a dead giveaway. Not very subtle." He laughed as he lifted up his left hand and displayed a single diamond on a band around his ring finger.
His comments follow months of unconfirmed reports of his engagement to actress Heard, 27, who starred alongside Kevin Costner in "3 Days to Kill" released in the U.S. earlier this year.
In 2012, Depp split with his partner of 14 years, French model-singer Vanessa Paradis. They have two children.
In a trademark off-the-wall comment, Depp said: "I think that I would be better at making women's shoes than I would be at wedding planning, I can't plan anything. I'm really bad at that stuff."
The 50-year-old actor was in Beijing to promote his new movie "Transcendence." Depp plays a terminally ill scientist who downloads his mind into a computer in the sci-fi drama that asks: What if we could upload a human mind into a computer? It also stars Rebecca Hall as Depp's wife and Morgan Freeman.
"The technology that exists within the film, what I find most fascinating is that a lot of it exists already and by all accounts from scholars and professors and scientists that species of technology is not far away, that kind of artificial intelligence," said Depp in an interview.
"It's one of those films that one person is forced to make a choice in an instant, when your loved one is dying and you have a split-second decision if you have the ability to upload their consciousness into a computer, would you do that? It's quite a strange decision to make but for love I think we would all do it."
"Transcendence" comes out in China on April 18 — the same day as the U.S. release. China is the only country currently where "Transcendence" will be showing in 3-D — a format popular with Chinese audiences.
China is also the only international stop Depp is making as part of the movie's promotion tour, illustrating the growing attention Hollywood is paying to the country that now has the world's second-biggest box office after the United States.
Last Monday, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson promoted "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in Beijing, followed the next day by "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx.
"With regard to Hollywood, China is quite a large market, certainly," said Depp, who was on his first visit to China. "I think there will be a lot more films coming here, a lot more people coming here and continuing the trend."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite