Family life grounds Matthew McConaughey
- Photo: KBA/ZOJ/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: AW3/Arnold Wells/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Patriot Pics/Promotional4 of 11
- Photo: GSI/.5 of 11
- Photo: FXMX/Wonderwall6 of 11
- Photo: Loki/NPG7 of 11
- Photo: Justin/Erik/NPG8 of 11
- Photo: FAMEFLYNET/Fame Pictures9 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Leno, Murdoch among TV Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:17:18 AM
- $600K taken from safe at Osteen's megachurchMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:01:13 AM
- Actor Chris Pine charged in New Zealand with DUIMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 11:56:21 PM
- Cameraman recounts Crocodile Hunter's last momentsMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 9:42:26 PM
- 'Need for Speed' Review: Aaron Paul Can't Get This Vehicle Off the LotMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 9:30:00 PM
- Leno, Murdoch among TV Hall of Fame inductees
NEW YORK (AP) -- Actor Matthew McConaughey credits his growing family for the success that 2012 brought him.
RELATED: Matthew McConaughey welcomes a baby
"One, they ground you. Two, when you have that kind of structure at home and you feel stable at home it makes it much easier to fly higher and wider when you're outside of home," McConaughey said Monday at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards.
The 43-year-old received the Best Supporting Actor honor for "Magic Mike" and "Bernie." He garnered critical success in 2012 for "Mud" and "The Paperboy," both shown in competition at the Cannes Film Festival.
"Got a great family that loves what I do, they're happy for papa when papa is happy. Papa is happy when he's working, and they like it when papa goes to work," he said of his busy year.
"Things that I've been working on came to fruition personally, workwise, healthwise. And we just decided to embrace it all -- myself, my family -- decided to embrace it all," he said. "Even when it was work that I was doing that my family wasn't necessarily doing, my family was pushing me to go: 'Go get it on. Do it. We're right behind you. We got it.'"
RELATED: Celebrity dad-kid lookalikes
McConaughey married long-time girlfriend Camila Alves in June. He announced last month on his Whosay page that Alves had given birth to their third child, Livingston, on Dec. 28.
"Livingston had a lot to say this morning," he joked. "He had a mouthful of milk. That's what he had."
McConaughey said his older children, 4-year-old son, Levi, and 3-year-old daughter, Vida, were excited about the NYFCC award, but even more excited about his return home in Texas.
"They're like, 'Get the trophy and come back home,'" he said. "I said, 'I'm coming back home.'"
RELATED: Matthew's life as a father
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite