Family medical drama prompted Sean Penn's Haiti activism
- Photo: Lionel Cironneau/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: Mahmoud Bakry/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Dieu Nalio Chery/Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Ariana Cubillos/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: AMI/ZOJ/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Chris Ashford/Camera Press/Retna Digital7 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Brandon Todd/Splash News9 of 17
- Photo: Brandon Todd/Splash News10 of 17
- Photo: Sean and son Hopper/RSD/ZO6/WENN11 of 17
- Photo: VENTURINI/Bauer-Griffin12 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com13 of 17
- Photo: Louis Lanzano/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: Splash News15 of 17
- Photo: Darran Robinson/Splash News16 of 17
More Celeb News
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit ExpansionMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 4:25:00 PM
- New Star Wars Film Resumes Production After Harrison Ford InjuryMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 3:44:00 PM
- 'Greatest American Hero' Reboot by '22 Jump Street' Team in the MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 2:59:00 PM
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 1:19:00 PM
- A&E Networks to Buy Stake in Vice MediaMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:51:00 PM
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit Expansion
Sean Penn rushed to help the people of Haiti in the wake of 2010's catastrophic earthquake after witnessing his son bounce back from a near-fatal head injury -- all thanks to modern medication.
RELATED: Celebrities at Sundance 2012
The "Milk" star was still reeling from his marriage split from actress Robin Wright when his teenage son, Hopper, suffered a devastating skateboarding accident, which left him in need of emergency brain surgery.
In the days that followed, Penn watched him make a full recovery with the help of pain medication, and the actor reveals as soon as the tremendous tremor hit Haiti, he couldn't bear the thought of survivors undergoing amputations without the same medical help his son had received.
RELATED: Celebrity Rebound Couples
He tells the New York Times, "I had been single-parenting after a divorce for about eight months, and in that time my son had a traumatic head injury. And after getting through the life threat or the brain-damage threat, still there was the pain, and then he was given morphine for the pain, and I guess ... I really found affection for what those pain medications could do to people. I had just seen his relief and so then it was four days before the earthquake that both he and his mother had found they were ready to spend some time together, so he left, which was initially kind of a 24/7 burden of eight months that I needed to break through ... After that I was just sitting around missing him, and the earthquake happened."
Penn continued, "I was hearing about the amputations and so on without any IV (intravenous) pain medications, so I put a little group together, but the intention initially was just to go down and distribute those medications to the hospitals and clinics that were doing surgeries. And then we had a pretty good group of people, and there were gaps to be filled ... One commitment built into another one."
Penn founded the J/P Haitian Relief Organization and two years later he's still a very present force in Haiti as both aid worker and activist.
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVolcano Vacay
From Crowd Ignite