Will Ferrell drops Twain prize at ceremony
- Photo: Kevin Wolf/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Mike Aguilera/Pacific Coast News3 of 16
- Photo: VPB/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Funny Or Die/Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Funny or Die/Promotional8 of 16
- Photo: Alan Markfield/New Line Productions/Promotional9 of 16
- Photo: Warner Bros./Promotional10 of 16
- Photo: WENN11 of 16
- Photo: ABC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Martin Roe/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Reimschuessel / Splash News/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
Clumsy Will Ferrell was left red-faced after collecting the coveted Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on Sunday night, Oct. 23, 2011 - he broke the award by accidentally dropping it.
Ferrell received the honor during a star-studded gala at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. and Jack Black opened the show with a song and dance number dedicated to his pal.
The "School of Rock" star led the crowd in a rendition of Queen's "We Will Rock You," changing the words to "Will, Will, Will, will rock you," before adding, "Will Ferrell, did you notice how I changed it from We Will Rock You?... It's about time he got some official Washington, D.C., props... He's crazy funny. He makes you laugh so hard you cry and pee simultaneously."
But funny-man Ferrell blundered at the end of the night when he eventually received the award as he promptly dropped the trophy, which is a bust of Twain, and scrambled to pick up the broken pieces.
He told the crowd, "As I stare at this bust, I am reminded how humbled I am by this honor... and what special care I will take of it... In fact, I told my wife how I might buy it a seat on the way home."
Ferrell also thanked the "wonderful people who spoke or performed tonight on my behalf," and his wife Viveca, according to USA Today.
Other stars who honored the comedian at the event included Matthew Broderick, Ben Stiller and Green Day rocker Billie Joe Armstrong, who performed in Ferrell's honor.
A recording of the show will air in America on October 31, 2011.
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite