Will Ferrell drops Twain prize at ceremony
- Photo: Kevin Wolf/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Mike Aguilera/Pacific Coast News3 of 16
- Photo: VPB/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Funny Or Die/Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Funny or Die/Promotional8 of 16
- Photo: Alan Markfield/New Line Productions/Promotional9 of 16
- Photo: Warner Bros./Promotional10 of 16
- Photo: WENN11 of 16
- Photo: ABC/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Martin Roe/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Reimschuessel / Splash News/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Clumsy Will Ferrell was left red-faced after collecting the coveted Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on Sunday night, Oct. 23, 2011 - he broke the award by accidentally dropping it.
Ferrell received the honor during a star-studded gala at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. and Jack Black opened the show with a song and dance number dedicated to his pal.
The "School of Rock" star led the crowd in a rendition of Queen's "We Will Rock You," changing the words to "Will, Will, Will, will rock you," before adding, "Will Ferrell, did you notice how I changed it from We Will Rock You?... It's about time he got some official Washington, D.C., props... He's crazy funny. He makes you laugh so hard you cry and pee simultaneously."
But funny-man Ferrell blundered at the end of the night when he eventually received the award as he promptly dropped the trophy, which is a bust of Twain, and scrambled to pick up the broken pieces.
He told the crowd, "As I stare at this bust, I am reminded how humbled I am by this honor... and what special care I will take of it... In fact, I told my wife how I might buy it a seat on the way home."
Ferrell also thanked the "wonderful people who spoke or performed tonight on my behalf," and his wife Viveca, according to USA Today.
Other stars who honored the comedian at the event included Matthew Broderick, Ben Stiller and Green Day rocker Billie Joe Armstrong, who performed in Ferrell's honor.
A recording of the show will air in America on October 31, 2011.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite