Garrett Hedlund Rejected Lead Role in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Ian Somerhalder Not a Contender
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Donato Sardella/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Park/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: VISP/GSI7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: Screen Gems/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media GroupMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:37:00 PM
- Managers Call SAG-AFTRA's Code of Ethics 'DOA' After SurveyMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:31:00 PM
- FX's 'Archer' Renewed for 2 More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Insiders: Andrew Garfield Rewrote Batkid Oscars Speech, Thought Segment Was ExploitativeMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:54:00 PM
- CW's Uncensored 'Reign' Sex Scenes Are 'Appalling,' SayMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media Group
Garrett Hedlund doesn't want to be chained to the role of Christian Grey. A source tells Us Weekly the "On the Road" actor, 28, passed on playing the S&M-obsessed lead in the film version of E L James' erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
"Doing a possible trilogy was too big a commitment, and producers wouldn't let him do just one film," says the source of Kirsten Dunst's boyfriend.
Ian Somerhalder, 34, seems out too. Though the star campaigned for the role, he's not a contender as far as James is concerned. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KISS-FM in April, "The Vampire Diaries" actor said he would "absolutely" be up for playing the role of Grey. "It could be very, very amazing," Somerhalder said. "I have the book, and I just started reading it. That would be a pretty incredible thing, and hopefully that could pan out. ... Beyond the shadow of a doubt, I think that would be a phenomenal opportunity!"
Unfortunately, that opportunity may not be his for the taking. A source tells Us, "E L was at a Comic-Con party on July 20 telling people the part won't go to Ian."
The only known casting decision for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie, so far, has been the director. James revealed on Twitter in June that Sam Taylor-Johnson has been hired to direct the film. "I saw both of her films, and I was blown away. Simple." the author recently told Vulture of the "Nowhere Boy" director. "She's creative, incredibly talented, she's got an extraordinary eye. She had a good idea about the whole 'Fifty' experience, she understands it. And I thought, There's a woman I can go and get drunk with."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite