Garrett Hedlund Rejected Lead Role in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Ian Somerhalder Not a Contender
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Donato Sardella/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Park/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: VISP/GSI7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: Screen Gems/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Where We Left Off and What's Next on Devious MaidsMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:37:00 AM
- Idris Elba and Girlfriend Welcome SonMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:02:00 AM
- Aereo CEO 'Hoping for a Clear Decision' From Supreme CourtMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:54:00 AM
- Parenthood Season Finale Recap: Amber and Ryan's New Obstacle and Haddie's Big SecMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:41:00 AM
- Parks and Recreation Finale Enlists Workaholics' Blake AndersonMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:23:00 AM
- Where We Left Off and What's Next on Devious Maids
Garrett Hedlund doesn't want to be chained to the role of Christian Grey. A source tells Us Weekly the "On the Road" actor, 28, passed on playing the S&M-obsessed lead in the film version of E L James' erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
"Doing a possible trilogy was too big a commitment, and producers wouldn't let him do just one film," says the source of Kirsten Dunst's boyfriend.
Ian Somerhalder, 34, seems out too. Though the star campaigned for the role, he's not a contender as far as James is concerned. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KISS-FM in April, "The Vampire Diaries" actor said he would "absolutely" be up for playing the role of Grey. "It could be very, very amazing," Somerhalder said. "I have the book, and I just started reading it. That would be a pretty incredible thing, and hopefully that could pan out. ... Beyond the shadow of a doubt, I think that would be a phenomenal opportunity!"
Unfortunately, that opportunity may not be his for the taking. A source tells Us, "E L was at a Comic-Con party on July 20 telling people the part won't go to Ian."
The only known casting decision for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie, so far, has been the director. James revealed on Twitter in June that Sam Taylor-Johnson has been hired to direct the film. "I saw both of her films, and I was blown away. Simple." the author recently told Vulture of the "Nowhere Boy" director. "She's creative, incredibly talented, she's got an extraordinary eye. She had a good idea about the whole 'Fifty' experience, she understands it. And I thought, There's a woman I can go and get drunk with."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite