Garrett Hedlund Rejected Lead Role in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Ian Somerhalder Not a Contender
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Donato Sardella/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Park/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: VISP/GSI7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: Screen Gems/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWraMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:29:00 PM
- Bill O'Reilly Cuts Vacation Short to Cover Ferguson, Ratings RiseMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo Cast in Syfy Space Opera 'The Expanse'MSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:37:00 PM
- Ferguson's Mike Brown Memorial Campaign Has Raised Less Than Officer Darren Wilson&aposMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Consumer Groups Urge FCC to Reject Comcast/Time Warner Cable DealMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 2:50:00 PM
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWra
Garrett Hedlund doesn't want to be chained to the role of Christian Grey. A source tells Us Weekly the "On the Road" actor, 28, passed on playing the S&M-obsessed lead in the film version of E L James' erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
"Doing a possible trilogy was too big a commitment, and producers wouldn't let him do just one film," says the source of Kirsten Dunst's boyfriend.
Ian Somerhalder, 34, seems out too. Though the star campaigned for the role, he's not a contender as far as James is concerned. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KISS-FM in April, "The Vampire Diaries" actor said he would "absolutely" be up for playing the role of Grey. "It could be very, very amazing," Somerhalder said. "I have the book, and I just started reading it. That would be a pretty incredible thing, and hopefully that could pan out. ... Beyond the shadow of a doubt, I think that would be a phenomenal opportunity!"
Unfortunately, that opportunity may not be his for the taking. A source tells Us, "E L was at a Comic-Con party on July 20 telling people the part won't go to Ian."
The only known casting decision for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie, so far, has been the director. James revealed on Twitter in June that Sam Taylor-Johnson has been hired to direct the film. "I saw both of her films, and I was blown away. Simple." the author recently told Vulture of the "Nowhere Boy" director. "She's creative, incredibly talented, she's got an extraordinary eye. She had a good idea about the whole 'Fifty' experience, she understands it. And I thought, There's a woman I can go and get drunk with."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Watch as Lynda Carter talks about the old vs. the new "Wonder Woman" costume.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite