Garrett Hedlund Rejected Lead Role in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Ian Somerhalder Not a Contender
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Donato Sardella/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Park/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: VISP/GSI7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: Screen Gems/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
Garrett Hedlund doesn't want to be chained to the role of Christian Grey. A source tells Us Weekly the "On the Road" actor, 28, passed on playing the S&M-obsessed lead in the film version of E L James' erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
"Doing a possible trilogy was too big a commitment, and producers wouldn't let him do just one film," says the source of Kirsten Dunst's boyfriend.
Ian Somerhalder, 34, seems out too. Though the star campaigned for the role, he's not a contender as far as James is concerned. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KISS-FM in April, "The Vampire Diaries" actor said he would "absolutely" be up for playing the role of Grey. "It could be very, very amazing," Somerhalder said. "I have the book, and I just started reading it. That would be a pretty incredible thing, and hopefully that could pan out. ... Beyond the shadow of a doubt, I think that would be a phenomenal opportunity!"
Unfortunately, that opportunity may not be his for the taking. A source tells Us, "E L was at a Comic-Con party on July 20 telling people the part won't go to Ian."
The only known casting decision for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie, so far, has been the director. James revealed on Twitter in June that Sam Taylor-Johnson has been hired to direct the film. "I saw both of her films, and I was blown away. Simple." the author recently told Vulture of the "Nowhere Boy" director. "She's creative, incredibly talented, she's got an extraordinary eye. She had a good idea about the whole 'Fifty' experience, she understands it. And I thought, There's a woman I can go and get drunk with."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Malin Akerman, Courtney Love, and Florence Welch all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWedding Bells
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite