Garrett Hedlund Rejected Lead Role in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Ian Somerhalder Not a Contender
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Donato Sardella/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Chris Park/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: VISP/GSI7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: Screen Gems/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
Garrett Hedlund doesn't want to be chained to the role of Christian Grey. A source tells Us Weekly the "On the Road" actor, 28, passed on playing the S&M-obsessed lead in the film version of E L James' erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
"Doing a possible trilogy was too big a commitment, and producers wouldn't let him do just one film," says the source of Kirsten Dunst's boyfriend.
Ian Somerhalder, 34, seems out too. Though the star campaigned for the role, he's not a contender as far as James is concerned. During an interview with Ryan Seacrest on KISS-FM in April, "The Vampire Diaries" actor said he would "absolutely" be up for playing the role of Grey. "It could be very, very amazing," Somerhalder said. "I have the book, and I just started reading it. That would be a pretty incredible thing, and hopefully that could pan out. ... Beyond the shadow of a doubt, I think that would be a phenomenal opportunity!"
Unfortunately, that opportunity may not be his for the taking. A source tells Us, "E L was at a Comic-Con party on July 20 telling people the part won't go to Ian."
The only known casting decision for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie, so far, has been the director. James revealed on Twitter in June that Sam Taylor-Johnson has been hired to direct the film. "I saw both of her films, and I was blown away. Simple." the author recently told Vulture of the "Nowhere Boy" director. "She's creative, incredibly talented, she's got an extraordinary eye. She had a good idea about the whole 'Fifty' experience, she understands it. And I thought, There's a woman I can go and get drunk with."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTI Can't Trust Men
From Crowd Ignite