George Clooney calls out Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio in Esquire interview
- Photo: Phil Poynter/Esquire1 of 17
- Photo: Phil Poynter/Esquire2 of 17
- Photo: Phil Poynter/Esquire3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Sam Levi/WireImage5 of 17
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage6 of 17
- Photo: Moryc Welt/Teach/FAMEFLYNET PICT/Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: David Tonnessen/Pacific Coast News9 of 17
- Photo: Splash/Facebook/.10 of 17
- Photo: Top Photo Corporation/Rex USA11 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: Barry King/Getty Images North America13 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA14 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA15 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your DadMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Gets It On with a Clown—On Camera—for GQMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Exclusive: Royal Pains Adds Alpha House Alum for Mysterious Recurring RoleMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 2:31:00 PM
- Apple Revenue Climbs to $45.6 Billion Thanks to Strong iPhone SalesMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:49:00 PM
- WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin Slams 'Motherfkers' Who Don't AgreMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:03:00 PM
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your Dad
No more Mr. Nice Guy. In a no-holds-bar interview with Esquire magazine, George Clooney reveals his run-ins with actors Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Recalling some beef he had with Crowe, Clooney told Esquire's Tom Junod, "The truth is that [Crowe] did send me a book of poems to apologize for insulting the s--- out of me, which he did. He picked a fight with me. He started it for no reason at all. He put out this thing saying, 'George Clooney, Harrison Ford, and Robert De Niro are sellouts.' And I put out a statement saying, 'He's probably right. And I'm glad he told us, 'cause Bob and Harrison and I were also thinking about starting a band, which would also fall under the heading of bad use of celebrity.'"
Clooney, 52, said this didn't go over too well with Crowe, 49. "And that's when he really went off on me. 'Who the f--- does this guy think he is? He's a Frank Sinatra wannabe.' He really went after me. And so I sent him a note going, 'Dude, the only people who succeed when two famous people are fighting is People magazine. What the f--- is wrong with you?'"
Later, the men made amends ... sorta. Clooney continues, "But then I had a year. Then I had 'Syriana' and 'Good Night, and Good Luck,' and he was gonna see me at the Golden Globes 'cause he was nominated for 'Cinderella Man.' So he sends me a disc of his music and a thing of his poetry. I think he said, 'I was all misquoted,' and I was like, 'Yeah, yeah. Whatever.'"
The "Gravity" actor also didn't shy away from telling another story about playing basketball with DiCaprio, 39, that didn't place the actor in a positive light. "I also know that you don't talk s--- unless you can play. And the thing about playing Leo is you have all these guys talking s---. We get there, and there's this guy, Danny A I think his name is. Danny A is this club kid from New York. And he comes up to me and says, 'We played once at Chelsea Piers. I kicked your a--.' I said, 'I've only played at Chelsea Piers once in my life and ran the table. So if we played, you didn't kick anybody's a--.' And so then we're watching them warm up, and they're doing this weave around the court, and one of the guys I play with says, 'You know we're going to kill these guys, right?' Because they can't play at all. We're all like 50 years old, and we beat them three straight: 11-0, 11-0, 11-0," Clooney dished.
He then added, "And the discrepancy between their game and how they talked about their game made me think of how important it is to have someone in your life to tell you what's what. I'm not sure if Leo has someone like that."
Crowe and DiCaprio weren't the only stars the A-list actor called out. Admitting his distaste for Twitter, Clooney said, "Why on God's green Earth would you be in Twitter? I mean, when you see, like, Ashton Kutcher coming out and going, you know, 'Everybody leave Joe Paterno alone,' or whatever he said, you just go '15 minutes longer and a thought process and probably you wouldn't have done that.'"
MORE FROM ESQUIRE:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Weight Loss
From Crowd Ignite