George Clooney Confesses He Had Suicidal Thoughts After Spinal Injury
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP1 of 21
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com2 of 21
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP3 of 21
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks4 of 21
- Photo: WENN5 of 21
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 21
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 21
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP8 of 21
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP9 of 21
- Photo: Kristian Dowling/Invision/AP10 of 21
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 21
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin12 of 21
- Photo: ENFOQUE/Bauer-Griffin13 of 21
- Photo: KPA/http://www.wenn.com/14 of 21
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Evan Agostini/Joel Ryan/Invision/AP15 of 21
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 21
- Photo: WENN17 of 21
- Photo: WENN18 of 21
- Photo: VPB/WENN19 of 21
- Photo: WireImage20 of 21
More Celeb News
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 4:49:15 PM
- Vin Diesel Shares His Emotional Moment With Paul Walker's FamilyMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 3:18:16 PM
- Bob Dylan's Infamous Electric Guitar Fetches Nearly $1 Million at AuctionMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:57:27 PM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85
By Chris Gardner
George Clooney can't stand pain. So much so that the Oscar-winning actor contemplated suicide to escape the intense agony he endured while hospitalized for nearly a month following an on-set accident in 2005 that left him with a serious spinal injury.
In a far-reaching interview in the latest Rolling Stone, Clooney reveals the thoughts he had after the stunt injury he received while shooting the politically charged, oil industry epic "Syriana."
"I was at a point where I thought, 'I can't exist like this. I can't actually live,'" says the Oscar-winning actor, who appears on the cover to promote the feature films "The Ides of March" and the upcoming "The Descendants." "I was lying in a hospital bed with an IV in my arm, unable to move, having these headaches where it feels like you're having a stroke, and for a short three-week period, I started to think, 'I may have to do something drastic about this' ... but I never thought I'd get there. See, I was in a place where I was trying to figure out how to survive."
But survive he did, although the path to good health was admittedly not an easy one. Clooney was bedridden and stricken with severe headaches, not to mention spinal fluid leakings through his nose. The combination caused him to resort to heavy drinking to numb the pain. Clooney has since had surgery to repair his spine, though he admits in the magazine that he still suffers headaches as a result of the accident.
On the subject of virginity, Clooney admits to losing his at the age of 16, which was "young, very young, too young."
Something he won't dish on is his new squeeze, Stacy Keibler. "I might have a girlfriend, but I'm never going to talk about it. I get one thing to keep to myself," deflects the dapper star.
So we'll have to settle for comments on what the rest of Clooney's life is really like. "I think one of the major misconceptions about me is that I live my life the way people think I lead my life, with hot and cold drinks running everywhere and a party all the time," says the 50-year-old. They think of my life in terms of certain excesses that don't really exist. Things are actually fairly simple."
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite