Gerard Butler Opens Up About Rehab: I Haven't Had a Drink in 15 Years
- Photo: Dave Benett/Promotional1 of 19
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA2 of 19
- Photo: Theo Wood/.3 of 19
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks4 of 19
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage5 of 19
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage6 of 19
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN7 of 19
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/WorldRedEye.com/.9 of 19
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks10 of 19
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage11 of 19
- Photo: SSJ/ZOB/ZDS/WENN12 of 19
- Photo: BT1/WENN13 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage14 of 19
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage15 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage16 of 19
- Photo: Splash News17 of 19
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks18 of 19
More Celeb News
- 'Rosemary's Baby' Miniseries Gets Greenlight From NBCMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 10:52:26 AM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel Will Outpace the First at Overseas Box Office - And That'MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 2:01:30 PM
- Sundance Short Films: Movies From Danny Pudi, Rose McGowan Highlight LineupMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 1:22:02 PM
- Aziz Ansari, Zoe Saldana and Olivia Wilde to Reveal Golden Globe NominationsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 1:09:46 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Georgian Oscar Hopeful 'In Bloom' Mixes Pubescence With MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 1:06:41 PM
- 'Rosemary's Baby' Miniseries Gets Greenlight From NBC
Gerard Butler is coming clean after getting clean earlier this year.
The "Chasing Mavericks" actor, 42, appears on the November cover of Men's Journal. In the accompanying article, he opens up for the first time about why he decided to seek treatment at the Betty Ford Clinic in February. "I think, on a basic level, I have a pretty addictive personality," Butler tells the magazine. "Both good and bad."
Butler, who is dating Romanian lingerie model Madalina Ghenea, began taking prescription painkillers after sustaining an injury while shooting the movie "Shattered" in 2007. The actor experienced mild discomfort for the next three years, but his back problems intensified when he filmed "Coriolanus" in 2010.
"It was like somebody sticking a spear in there," Butler recalls. "It would get bad, and I'd take something. But I would always stop." The Scottish star injured himself yet again in December 2011 when he shot a surfing scene for "Chasing Mavericks." "I started taking more," Butler says of the pills. "And I started taking them very quickly."
Though it never reached the point of full-blown addiction, Butler feared it could if he continued. "I was actually taking a minimal amount when I went in," he explains. "It was more about becoming a mental warrior and not letting pain bother you. The [instructor] would say, 'I don't want to hear about your f---ing MRIs or your f---ing X-rays. Let's go do kung fu, let's meditate, and let's learn how to say to the pain, 'F--- you.'"
Butler stayed in treatment for three weeks. "They really do rip you apart. But it's like spring cleaning, you know? You get rid of a bunch of s---, realize a bunch more s---, and you make a plan."
The leading man also denies reports he had been drinking and using more illicit drugs. "That really pissed me off," Butler says. "I haven't had a drink in 15 years."
"Maybe a stronger person wouldn’t have needed to go," he tells Men's Journal of his time in treatment. "When you hear the word rehab, you think, 'He's a mess, he's f---ed up.' But I'm glad I did it. I've made a s---load of wrong decisions in my life. But I know I've made some right ones as well."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
George's Big Day
Get the scoop on Prince George's royal christening and more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gretchen Rossi chats about her new swimwear line, her engagement and the infamous BFF bracelet with Wonderwall Editor Stacie Anthony.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite