Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was a 'Close Call'
- Photo: Richard Beetham/Splash News1 of 12
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks2 of 12
- Photo: DC5/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News4 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com5 of 12
- Photo: Todd G / Macca/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Splash News7 of 12
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones RomanceMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:49:00 PM
- Tumblr Tops Twitter's Social TV Activity, Says New StudyMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Comedy Group Dr. God Sets Up AXS TV Show, Wraps First Feature (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: 5 TakeawaysMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Mean Girls Star Daniel Franzese Comes OutMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:03:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones Romance
Gerard Butler is one tough cookie!
The 42-year-old actor was seriously injured in a surfing accident in December, but the "Mavericks" star told "The Graham Norton Show" he wanted to get back on the board right away.
"I was going to go back that day," he said. "I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy, but it's pretty addictive."
Butler told Norton the accident "was maybe one of the few times that reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call."
The "300" star was swept under several gigantic waves that "just took me in, and I couldn't get up. It was pretty hairy."
On the positive side, Butler's accident helped him relate to the surfing enthusiast he plays in "Mavericks." "In the movie, I put in a scene about a 'two-wave hold-down' when you are down for so long that the next wave comes over before you get back up and that’s what happened to me," he explained. "I actually thought they will get me later and resuscitate me. They finally grabbed me just as another huge wave was coming in -- it was just like a movie! In fact, everything I talked about happening in the movie happened to me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite