Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was a 'Close Call'
- Photo: Richard Beetham/Splash News1 of 12
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks2 of 12
- Photo: DC5/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News4 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com5 of 12
- Photo: Todd G / Macca/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Splash News7 of 12
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Gerard Butler is one tough cookie!
The 42-year-old actor was seriously injured in a surfing accident in December, but the "Mavericks" star told "The Graham Norton Show" he wanted to get back on the board right away.
"I was going to go back that day," he said. "I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy, but it's pretty addictive."
Butler told Norton the accident "was maybe one of the few times that reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call."
The "300" star was swept under several gigantic waves that "just took me in, and I couldn't get up. It was pretty hairy."
On the positive side, Butler's accident helped him relate to the surfing enthusiast he plays in "Mavericks." "In the movie, I put in a scene about a 'two-wave hold-down' when you are down for so long that the next wave comes over before you get back up and that’s what happened to me," he explained. "I actually thought they will get me later and resuscitate me. They finally grabbed me just as another huge wave was coming in -- it was just like a movie! In fact, everything I talked about happening in the movie happened to me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite