Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was a 'Close Call'
- Photo: Richard Beetham/Splash News1 of 12
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks2 of 12
- Photo: DC5/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News4 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com5 of 12
- Photo: Todd G / Macca/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Splash News7 of 12
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 4:49:15 PM
- Vin Diesel Shares His Emotional Moment With Paul Walker's FamilyMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 3:18:16 PM
- Bob Dylan's Infamous Electric Guitar Fetches Nearly $1 Million at AuctionMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:57:27 PM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85
Gerard Butler is one tough cookie!
The 42-year-old actor was seriously injured in a surfing accident in December, but the "Mavericks" star told "The Graham Norton Show" he wanted to get back on the board right away.
"I was going to go back that day," he said. "I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy, but it's pretty addictive."
Butler told Norton the accident "was maybe one of the few times that reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call."
The "300" star was swept under several gigantic waves that "just took me in, and I couldn't get up. It was pretty hairy."
On the positive side, Butler's accident helped him relate to the surfing enthusiast he plays in "Mavericks." "In the movie, I put in a scene about a 'two-wave hold-down' when you are down for so long that the next wave comes over before you get back up and that’s what happened to me," he explained. "I actually thought they will get me later and resuscitate me. They finally grabbed me just as another huge wave was coming in -- it was just like a movie! In fact, everything I talked about happening in the movie happened to me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite