Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was a 'Close Call'
- Photo: Richard Beetham/Splash News1 of 12
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks2 of 12
- Photo: DC5/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News4 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com5 of 12
- Photo: Todd G / Macca/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Splash News7 of 12
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novelMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:50:09 AM
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrestMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:42:39 AM
- Turner Plans Organizational Restructuring in Next Two MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 9:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Premiere to Feature Live 3D Red Carpet BroadcastMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 8:40:00 PM
- NFL's Super Bowl Halftime Show to Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay: Show Me the Money!MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 7:25:00 PM
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novel
Gerard Butler is one tough cookie!
The 42-year-old actor was seriously injured in a surfing accident in December, but the "Mavericks" star told "The Graham Norton Show" he wanted to get back on the board right away.
"I was going to go back that day," he said. "I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy, but it's pretty addictive."
Butler told Norton the accident "was maybe one of the few times that reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call."
The "300" star was swept under several gigantic waves that "just took me in, and I couldn't get up. It was pretty hairy."
On the positive side, Butler's accident helped him relate to the surfing enthusiast he plays in "Mavericks." "In the movie, I put in a scene about a 'two-wave hold-down' when you are down for so long that the next wave comes over before you get back up and that’s what happened to me," he explained. "I actually thought they will get me later and resuscitate me. They finally grabbed me just as another huge wave was coming in -- it was just like a movie! In fact, everything I talked about happening in the movie happened to me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite