- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: S. Granitz/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Promotional/.4 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP5 of 16
- Photo: AP/People6 of 16
- Photo: WENN7 of 16
- Photo: NC1/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com10 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com11 of 16
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com12 of 16
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Attorneys for the deputy who arrested Mel Gibson on suspicion of drunken driving want to call the Oscar winner as a witness during an upcoming trial to determine whether the law enforcement officer suffered discrimination because of the case.
MORE: Football Power Couples
The case will focus on what happened to Deputy James Mee after he arrested the actor-director in 2006, and whether he endured discrimination because he is Jewish. The trial could also focus heavily on Gibson's arrest, during which he made anti-Semitic comments that Mee claims his superiors forced him to remove from a report.
He claims he was also ostracized and his opportunities for promotion were blocked after Gibson's arrest.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca may also be called to testify, according to a witness list filed Thursday. Mee's attorneys are hoping to show that the agency moved to protect Gibson because the star had a close relationship with the department before his arrest.
MORE: 2012 SAG Awards
County attorneys are asking a judge to block jurors from seeing a public service announcement that Gibson recorded for the agency prior to his arrest. Gibson appeared in a deputy's uniform for the spot, and Mee's attorneys claim it is important context for jurors to see.
Gibson's work as a spokesman for the department helps explain "the circumstances that serve as a backdrop to the harassment and hostile work environment that Deputy Mee suffered," the deputy's attorneys wrote in a court filing. "(Gibson) wasn't just another arrestee. He was the 'public face' of the department."
Neither Gibson nor Baca has been deposed in advance of the trial, which is scheduled to begin on Feb. 14. Filings state Baca's testimony should last about an hour, while Gibson may spend about 90 minutes on the witness stand.
In all, 28 witnesses are listed in a pretrial filing, and not all of them may be called to testify.
"He'll do whatever is legally appropriate," Baca's spokesman Steve Whitmore said. "We look forward to telling the whole story."
An email to Gibson's spokesman Alan Nierob was not immediately returned.
A judge ruled last month that the case should go to trial if it cannot be settled, but noted that Mee's attorneys may have trouble proving their case.
"While I think it's thin, I think there are enough facts to create a question for the jury to decide," Superior Court Judge Barbara Scheper said during a January hearing. She noted that he remains a deputy, although he no longer patrols for drunken drivers in the coastal community of Malibu.
Attorneys for Los Angeles County have denied that Mee faced discrimination or was retaliated against.
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite