- Photo: People1 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: WENN3 of 7
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News4 of 7
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 5:12:35 PM
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Star Dann Florek Exits ShowMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 4:33:02 PM
- 'Blue Jasmine' Will Be Back in 300 Theaters After Cate Blanchett's AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:54:06 PM
- NBC's 'The Sound of Music Live' to Re-Air on SaturdayMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:51 PM
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Mama Joyce Rampage Earns Season-High RatingsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:22 PM
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'
By Kat Giantis
Last year, Michael Douglas went public with his cancer diagnosis, and now his wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones, is opening up about her own health crisis. The Oscar-winning mom of two tops the cover of this week's People magazine with a story about her struggle with bipolar II disorder.
"This is a disorder that affects millions of people and I am one of them," Zeta-Jones, 41, tells the mag. "If my revelation of having bipolar II has encouraged one person to seek help, then it is worth it. There is no need to suffer silently and there is no shame in seeking help."
Earlier this month, the actress reportedly spent five days in a mental health facility to receive treatment for the disorder, which is characterized by emotional highs and episodes of depression.
Zeta-Jones apparently began spiraling due to Douglas' battle with stage-4 throat cancer, which required him to undergo chemotherapy and radiation.
According to an insider, the actor's health improved, but Catherine's did not.
"The simple things would just seem overwhelming, like going out to dinner," says the source. "There was just a little piece of her chipped away. It was hard to watch because I knew how hard she was trying."
Zeta-Jones appears to be getting back to normal following her hospitalization. She stepped out in upstate New York last Friday with 8-year-old daughter Carys, with the pair sporting matching blue-striped tops as they did a little shopping.
"Catherine looked in astonishing shape considering she's been through such a rough time," relays an onlooker to the London Daily Mail. "Her daughter was clearly delighted to be with her. They look so happy together. It shows what a strong woman she is."
RELATED VIDEO: Fans shocked by Catherine's diagnosis
Like us on Facebook?
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite