- Photo: Maury Phillips/WireImage.com1 of 8
- Photo: Sharpshooter Images/Splash News2 of 8
- Photo: Splash News3 of 8
- Photo: RSD/ZO6/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com5 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 8
- Photo: Edward_Opinaldo/Splash News7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- 'Today' Replacing, Promoting Longtime Director Amid 'Many Changes&apoMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:04:00 PM
- Obama's FCC Pick Tom Wheeler Appears Before Senate CommitteeMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:39:13 PM
- 'Devil' No More? BitTorrent 'Arthur Newman' Promotion Generated MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:22:25 PM
- Ratings: CNN's 'New Day' Premieres to Lukewarm NumbersMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:13:56 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million Owed
By Kat Giantis
Is Halle Berry trying to paint a shiny, happy veneer on her surprisingly vicious and public custody fight with former flame Gabriel Aubry over 3-year-old daughter Nahla?
"When there's a child involved, it's a relief when you can resolve things in a good way," the Oscar winner optimistically tells "Extra." "Our issues were never about fighting for her. We both know a child needs both her parents."
That seems to be a 180 from Berry's position back in February, when she publicly stated that she had "serious concerns for her daughter's well-being while in the care of her father for any extended period of time and is prepared to take all necessary steps to protect her."
A torrent of ugly accusations from both sides followed.
The exes, who confirmed their split in April 2010, were in court last week trying to finalize a custody settlement, and the actress hints that an arrangement has been worked out with the Canadian model.
"But what I want to say about it is sometimes, as a couple, you reach an impasse," she explains. "We need a court and a judge to help us work out some of the delicate issues, and I'm so happy we've arrived at that place, because for her sake, this is the best way. We both love her more than life."
Meanwhile, Halle hit the red carpet with French squeeze Olivier Martinez on Sunday, just days after it was announced that she'd dropped out of the forthcoming Broadway production of "The Mountaintop," ostensibly due to brewing custody issues over her need to relocate to New York for the run of the show.
The play, which will star Samuel L. Jackson as Martin Luther King Jr., would have marked Berry's Broadway debut, and her forced departure left her "irate," alleges the Chicago Sun-Times.
"Halle is devastated," says a source. "[Starring on Broadway] was something she's dreamed about doing for years."
RELATED VIDEO: More on Halle's Broadway bail
RELATED: Halle and more celebrity criers
RELATED VIDEO: Halle steps out in a bikini
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite