James Franco flies into Instagram rage over less-than-enthusiastic New York Times review
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage1 of 15
- Photo: @jamesfrancotv/Instagram2 of 15
- Photo: Rex/Rex USA3 of 15
- Photo: @jamesfrancotv/Instagram4 of 15
- Photo: Luca Teuchmann/GettyImages.com5 of 15
- Photo: CCH/WENN6 of 15
- Photo: Jon furniss/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: @jamesfrancotv/Instagram8 of 15
- Photo: Michael Buckner/GettyImages.com9 of 15
- Photo: KPA/Invision/AP10 of 15
- Photo: Neilson Barnard/Getty Images North America11 of 15
- Photo: Andreea Angelescu/StarTraks12 of 15
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA13 of 15
- Photo: Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP14 of 15
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
By Kat Giantis
James Franco, please step away from Instagram. Just weeks after the actor apologized for using the platform to proposition a 17-year-old female fan he met outside the Broadway theater where he's performing "Of Mice and Men," he's once again created a social media storm.
This time, he's taken aim at New York Times theater critic Ben Brantley, who reviewed the show's opening night on Wednesday.
Brantley didn't even come close to eviscerating the actor, who stars as George opposite Chris O'Dowd's Lenny. But, unlike other critics, he wasn't all that wowed, either.
"Though he sports a Yosemite Sam accent, Mr. Franco is often understated to the point of near invisibility," he commented. "It's a tight, internal performance begging for a camera's close-up."
As for George and Lenny's chemistry, "Neither actor overplays, which is considerate, but they do remain largely monolithic," added Brantley, who concluded that the show was a "generally inert revival."
That led Franco to post an all-caps rant on Thursday.
"Sadly Ben Brantley and the NYT have embarassed [sic] themselves," railed Franco in a since-edited post (captured by Vanity Fair writer Richard Lawson). "Brantley is such a little b---- he should be working for Gawker.com instead of the paper of record. The theater community hates him, and for good reason, he's an idiot."
The new post merely includes a link to a rave review from Variety, which calls the star's performance "beautifully crafted" and enthuses that his "personal magnetism works perfectly for George." His subsequent posts have also featured positive reviews.
It's not all bad news from the New York Times, however. The dog featured in the play got a rave from Brantley.
"Though Mr. Franco musters a single, perfect tear for the play's tragic climax, I only came close to shedding one," he wrote. "That was in the first act, when a dog (a real one) is led offstage to be shot because it stinks. That dog seemed to have true fear and bewilderment in its eyes. It felt, well, human, in a way none of the people did, and my heart sank when I knew it wouldn't be coming back."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'Sin'-fully Sexy
From Crowd Ignite