Halle Berry Tells Why She's Made Bad Choices in Men
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks1 of 14
- Photo: Boris Issaei/NPG2 of 14
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage4 of 14
- Photo: Jonathan Leibson/WireImage5 of 14
- Photo: Larry Busacca/WireImage6 of 14
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage7 of 14
- Photo: Universal/Promotional8 of 14
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Ron Galella/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: Ron Galella/WireImage11 of 14
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage12 of 14
- Photo: RIQUET/MAT/Bauer-Griffin13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Edgar Wright to Direct Young Adult Adaptation 'Grasshopper Jungle' for SonyMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Comedy Central Renews 'Drunk History,' 'Nathan for You'MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 2:45:00 PM
- Colin Firth, Emma Stone riff on working with WoodyMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 2:42:41 PM
- 'Up the Down Staircase' writer Kaufman dies at 103MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 2:41:09 PM
- Game of Thrones Casts Red Viper's Brother, Recasts Joffrey's SisterMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 2:09:00 PM
- Edgar Wright to Direct Young Adult Adaptation 'Grasshopper Jungle' for Sony
Berry's rocky relationships are no secret. The collapse of Berry's four-year marriage to baseball player David Justice resulted in a suicide attempt; her second husband, Eric Benet, went into sex rehab and admitted to cheating on her repeatedly; and now she is currently in a custody struggle with her daughter Nahla's father, Gabriel Aubry.
"My picker's broken," Berry tells T about her ability to choose men. "God just wanted to mix up my life. Maybe he was thinking, 'This girl can't get everything! I'm going to give her a broken picker.'"
But now that she's engaged to Olivier Martinez, she says her picker is apparently "fixed now."
RELATED: Halle Confirms Engagement
According to Berry, part of her questionable past choices comes from her admitted low self-esteem.
"Just because they see my face doesn't mean they see me. A person's self-esteem has nothing to do with how she looks," she says. "If it's true that I'm beautiful, I'm proof of that. Self-esteem comes from who you have in your life. How you were raised. What you struggled with as a child."
Her childhood struggles include being raised by a single mother and having a hard time fitting in due to being biracial.
"My mother tried hard," Berry says. "But there was no substitute for having a black woman I could identify with, who could teach me about being black."
"I always had to prove myself through my actions," she recalls about being the lone black student in a nearly all-white school. "Be a cheerleader. Be class president. Be the editor of the newspaper. It gave me a way to show who I was without being angry or violent. By the time I left school, I had a lot of tenacity. I'd turned things around."
RELATED: Halle's 'Dark' Romance
Still, her "humble beginnings" very much affect her today -- even on the night she won an Oscar for "Monster's Ball."
"I always felt like the underdog. Behind the eight ball. I learned not to be too high on the hog," she explains. "Even that night I won the Oscar, I had a fundamental knowing, it was just a moment in time. Driving home that night, back to my house, I felt like Cinderella. I said, 'When this night is over, I'm going back to who I was.' And I did."
Halle is now set to return to the big screen in "Cloud Atlas" after a bit of a hiatus, but just don't call it a comeback.
"I never went anywhere," she says. "I just seized the chance to be in an extraordinary film with an extraordinary cast, exploring an idea that's relevant to everyone."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Stars
From Crowd Ignite