- Photo: Matt Sayles/Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com2 of 10
- Photo: jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com3 of 10
- Photo: Whittle/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: AKM IMAGES/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: Pegasus/Splash News7 of 10
- Photo: Hector Vasquez/Pacific Coast News8 of 10
- Photo: Trae Patton/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
By Kat Giantis
What is it about Gerard Butler that has made him the tabloids' go-to guy for rebounding blondes such as Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson? Is it his manly barrel chest? His alluring perma-scruff? His oh-so-evolved attitude toward the opposite sex?
The latest fair-haired star to be linked to the Scottish actor: Reese Witherspoon, who has supposedly "been having a little fun with Hollywood's playboy du jour," according to Star.
Are we the only ones who have a hard time picturing the classy, Oscar-winning mother of two ricocheting from Jake Gyllenhaal to a guy who swaps spit with random young ladies on the street?
Thought so. Still, the tab is convinced that they've been "secretly meeting up."
RELATED: See more pics of Reese
"She thinks he's superhot!" bubbles a "friend" (who may or may not be one of Elle Woods' sorority sisters). "Reese is just having a good time with him. They've hung out a few times, mostly at his place in L.A."
The pair, who both participated in the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon, supposedly got to know each other after being approached to co-star in a movie and "got very chatty while reading the scripts," relays the snitch, who adds that "there was noticeable chemistry."
Alas, it appears the ersatz flame of romance isn't going to be fanned.
"Reese doesn't want to hurt Jake's feelings and doesn't want him to know about her and Gerard," blabs the mole (way to keep it a secret, anonymous source!). "She's not interested in taking it a step further."
Perhaps because there's no step to take.
While Witherspoon's rep didn't respond to our request for comment on whether the Butler does it for her, his mouthpiece brushes off the hush-hush hookup tale, insisting to Gossip Cop that it's "not true."
RELATED: See more photos of Gerard Butler
Besides, In Touch reports that Reese went on a date last week with a CAA agent named Jim Toth and "they enjoyed every minute together."
A source pipes in to People magazine that they "were very flirtatious throughout dinner. They were having a lot of fun, totally getting along and laughing and talking the whole dinner. Reese seemed very happy. She was smiling all through dinner. The mood was upbeat and really good."
At the end of the evening, Witherspoon and Toth took "forever to say goodbye," points out In Touch, while the People spy notes, "Reese reached around his neck and pulled him close for a hug. They kissed bye on the cheek -- but it was a very friendly goodbye."
A Reese insider says the meet-up was business (she's a CAA client), but a Toth pal calls it "a date" but "nothing serious."
Read more Hot Gossip
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite