- Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP1 of 9
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet2 of 9
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks3 of 9
- Photo: Perou/Promotional4 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com6 of 9
- Photo: Jonathan Short/AP7 of 9
- Photo: James Veysey/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Simpsons' Producer Lands 'How Murray Saved Christmas' Special aMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 1:41:53 PM
- 'The Voice' Winner: Who Did the Experts Choose?MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 1:39:01 PM
- Does the Kardashian-Spawned 'American Psycho' Spoof Keep Up With the Original? (ViMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 1:12:43 PM
- Could the Future of Legendary TV Be on Netflix?MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 12:43:41 PM
- As Music-Competition Shows Slide, What Does It Take to Make a Hit?MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 12:37:01 PM
- 'Simpsons' Producer Lands 'How Murray Saved Christmas' Special a
By Scott Huver and Jessica Wedemeyer
Helen Mirren became an unlikely sex symbol in 2008, when she was first snapped flaunting a surprisingly fit figure while frolicking on the beach in a red bikini. But the 67-year-old actress, best known for portraying Queen Elizabeth (I and II!), takes her newfound status in stride.
"I don't look like this in everyday life at all," Mirren demurred while promoting her upcoming Phil Spector biopic at the Television Critics Association winter 2013 press tour in Los Angeles. "I really, really don't! The way that I look in everyday life, I look like that and I go out like that and I don't make a big thing about it. Obviously, when I'm coming to this sort of thing, I clean up a bit."
RELATED: Fabulous Over 50
While most Hollywood startlets endure a laundry list of diet, exercise and beauty routines to keep themselves looking their absolute best, Dame Mirren, it seems, relies primarily on genetics.
"I don't do a lot of anything," she says. "I think maybe that's the trick, is not to do a lot of anything. I don't do a lot of gym-y stuff, but occasionally I go to the gym. I don't do a lot of dieting, but occasionally I do diet. I've never smoked, actually, and I've never drunk too much."
"I have actually drunk too much, but not consistently," she quickly clarified.
RELATED: Celebs With Surprising Ages
The Oscar winner attributes her appeal to her happiness with life, which she in turn credits to her work and a very un-Hollywood hobby.
"I think work is an important part of it," says Mirren. "I love to garden. My husband and I, we're starting [a vegetable garden]. I used to do a lot of vegetable gardening when I was in my 30s, and then life took me away from my vegetable garden, but I'm starting up again in Italy."
As for her work, Mirren credits a number of factors for the success she's experienced late in her career -- but most importantly, luck.
"Incredible good luck is an awful lot of it, sadly," she says. "I've got many actress friends of mine who are wonderful actresses who were colleagues of mine when I was in my 20s and 30s and now really find it very difficult to work. So, a lot of it is pure luck. I was very lucky that 'Prime Suspect' came along when it did. I try to work hard and I try to be easy to work with, and I think that helps."
RELATED: Celebs Who've Aged Gracefully
Getting work certainly isn't a problem for Mirren, who recently wrapped HBO's Phil Spector biopic opposite Al Pacino.
"I finished up with such love for [Al] and such admiration for him," Mirren gushed. "There is nothing that I wouldn't do for Al."
She joked, "I would clean his boots. I really would. He wouldn't want to have his boots cleaned. I think he likes grubby shoes."
- Maria Menounos -- Wonderview
- Lisa Vanderpump -- Wonderview
- Adriana Lima -- Wonderview
- 'Jersey Shore' star Ronnie Ortiz-Magro -- Wonderview
- Gavin DeGraw -- Wonderview
- Sean Lowe -- Wonderview
- Jonathan Lipnicki -- Wonderview
- Rob Kardashian -- Wonderview
- Wonderview: Miranda Kerr
- Wonderview -- Brandi Glanville
- Brad Goreski -- Wonderview
- Holly Madison -- Wonderview
- Wonderview: Anne Heche
- Farrah Abraham Wonderview
- Kat Graham Wonderview
- Wonderview: Shannen Doherty
- Dita Von Teese Wonderview
- Rachel Dratch Wonderview
- Wonderview: Keenan Cahill
- Adrian Grenier Wonderview
- Sammi Sweetheart -- Wonderview
- Lisa Vanderpump -- Wonderview
- Tracey Gold -- Wonderview
- Taye Diggs -- Wonderview
- Adrienne Maloof and Dr. Paul Nassif -- Wonderview
- Jodie Sweetin and Dave Coulier -- Wonderview
- Jill Zarin -- Wonderview
- Bridget Marquardt -- Wonderview
- Avril Lavigne -- Wonderview
- Harry Shum Jr. -- Wonderview
- Olivia Munn -- Wonderview
- Mayim Bialik -- Wonderview
- Moby -- Wonderview
- Ahna O'Reilly -- Wonderview
- Michelle Williams -- Wonderview
- Pauly Shore -- Wonderview
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite