How Scientologists Reportedly Turned Isabella, Connor Cruise Against Mom Nicole Kidman
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA1 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 14
- Photo: JOSEPH KERLAKIAN/StarTraks3 of 14
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage4 of 14
- Photo: BRENDAN BEIRNE / Rex USA/.5 of 14
- Photo: BRENDAN BEIRNE / Rex USA/.6 of 14
- Photo: Uwe Kuessner/Newspix/Rex USA/.7 of 14
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP8 of 14
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com11 of 14
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Wonderwall13 of 14
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
Us Weekly -- Divorce is a tricky minefield for all kids -- including Isabella and Connor Cruise, who were just 8 and 6 years old, respectively, when their world-famous parents Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman divorced in 2001 after 11 years together.
Maureen Orth's investigative cover story in the new Vanity Fair alleges, among other things, that members of Cruise's Church of Scientology turned the young kids against their mom, now 45, following the split.
"The central problem [in the marriage] was Nicole did not want to deal with Scientology," former high-ranking Scientologist Marty Rathbun claims to the magazine. After Kidman left the marriage and the Church, she was labeled a Suppressive Person -- a spiritually toxic person to be avoided -- with members of the Church quietly instilling this idea into the kids, sources claimed to Vanity Fair.
"They rejected Nicole -- they've been instructed," says John Brousseau, who was a Scientologist for 32 years and formerly the bodyguard and brother-in-law to church leader David Miscavige.
Bella and Connor were home schooled, and allegedly accompanied their movie star father, now 50, on auditing sessions, and were taught how to recognize an "S.P.," Rathbun and Brousseau both tell VF.
"They took a course, P.T.S./S.P., Potential Trouble Source/Suppressive Person, for persons connected in their lives who are an S.P.," Brousseau claims. "[Bella and Connor] whispered to me, 'J.B., Nicole is an S.P.! Our mom's an S.P. -- we hate going and seeing her.'"
Sources also claim in Orth's story that Kidman was so ostracized within the Scientology community that Church members were even urged to avoid her films.
"The Scientology world hated Nicole," Brousseau, who left the Church in 2010, says. "People in Sea Org were mandated to see every freaking Tom Cruise movie that came out. But if you ever mentioned an inkling to see a movie with Nicole, oh my God, you'd hear about it."
The Church of Scientology denied to Vanity Fair that Kidman was considered a Suppressive Person, or that Bella and Connor took a course on how to identify Suppressive persons.
In a later statement, the Church of Scientology roundly dismissed Orth's story, which centers around actress and former church member Nazanin Boniadi, who was allegedly audited to date Cruise and then punished by the organization for her behavior during and after the relationship. "The entire story is hogwash," the Church said.
Cruise and third wife Katie Holmes finalized their divorce last month.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'Sin'-fully Sexy
From Crowd Ignite