- Photo: Charles Sykes/AP1 of 19
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN2 of 19
- Photo: Jonathan Short/AP3 of 19
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin4 of 19
- Photo: Nathan Strange/AP5 of 19
- Photo: Armando Gallo/Retna Ltd.6 of 19
- Photo: Tristan Gregory / Camera Press/Retna Digital7 of 19
- Photo: FDU3/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Splash News9 of 19
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks10 of 19
- Photo: ERIC DRAPER/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Hugh Thompson/Retna Digital12 of 19
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage13 of 19
- Photo: Universal/Promotional14 of 19
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/AP15 of 19
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP16 of 19
- Photo: Alastair Grant/AP17 of 19
- Photo: AP18 of 19
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
LONDON (AP) -- Actor Hugh Grant has settled his phone hacking claim against Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid for a "substantial" but undisclosed sum of money, his lawyer said Friday.
Mark Thomson said that the "Notting Hill" star would donate cash from the settlement, as well as an additional payment, to media reform group Hacked Off, which is campaigning for stricter oversight of Britain's scandal-tainted press.
Thomson said in a brief statement that Grant's claims arose from "the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," but didn't go into any further detail.
Grant was one of the first celebrities to turn on Murdoch's powerful tabloid as it emerged that journalists there had hacked the phones of people in the public eye, rifling through their private communications in search of stories. The ensuing scandal rocked Murdoch's media empire, leading to scores of arrests and resignations and hundreds of millions of dollars in losses from lawsuits and legal fees. Murdoch was forced to close the News of the World amid an advertiser boycott, and his once-formidable influence over U.K. politics was dealt a body blow as politicians rushed to distance themselves from the tycoon's U.K. newspaper company, News International.
Prime Minister David Cameron, whose saw two close confidants' careers crushed by the scandal, was pushed to set up a judge-led inquiry into media ethics, which in turn exposed a culture of bullying, bribery and blackmail across the U.K. press.
Grant was one of the inquiry's first and most outspoken witnesses, testifying that a section of the British media had been "allowed to become toxic over the last 20 or 30 years."
A spokeswoman for News International, an arm of the New York-based News Corp., declined comment. Thomson said a statement would be made before England's High Court early in the new year.
- Fashion Offenders for June 14, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for June 6, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 31, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 24, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for May 17, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 10, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 3, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 26, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 19, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 12, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 5, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for March 29, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 22, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 15, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 8, 2013
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce posts behind-the-scenes shots of the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite