Hugh Grant settles hack claim with Murdoch paper
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN2 of 19
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin4 of 19
- Photo: Nathan Strange/Invision/AP5 of 19
- Photo: Armando Gallo/Retna Ltd.6 of 19
- Photo: Tristan Gregory / Camera Press/Retna Digital7 of 19
- Photo: FDU3/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Splash News9 of 19
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks10 of 19
- Photo: ERIC DRAPER/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Hugh Thompson/Retna Digital12 of 19
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage13 of 19
- Photo: Universal/Promotional14 of 19
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP15 of 19
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP16 of 19
- Photo: Alastair Grant/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP18 of 19
More Celeb News
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UKMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:34:00 PM
- Fox Reorganizes Development and Programming DepartmentsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Dan Harmon and Mitch Hurwitz Are Working on a Super-Secret ProjectMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Sean Combs Bids Reported $200 Million for Fuse TV NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Psych's James Roday to Star in CBS Relationship Comedy PilotMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:07:00 PM
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UK
LONDON (AP) -- Actor Hugh Grant has settled his phone hacking claim against Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid for a "substantial" but undisclosed sum of money, his lawyer said Friday.
Mark Thomson said that the "Notting Hill" star would donate cash from the settlement, as well as an additional payment, to media reform group Hacked Off, which is campaigning for stricter oversight of Britain's scandal-tainted press.
Thomson said in a brief statement that Grant's claims arose from "the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," but didn't go into any further detail.
Grant was one of the first celebrities to turn on Murdoch's powerful tabloid as it emerged that journalists there had hacked the phones of people in the public eye, rifling through their private communications in search of stories. The ensuing scandal rocked Murdoch's media empire, leading to scores of arrests and resignations and hundreds of millions of dollars in losses from lawsuits and legal fees. Murdoch was forced to close the News of the World amid an advertiser boycott, and his once-formidable influence over U.K. politics was dealt a body blow as politicians rushed to distance themselves from the tycoon's U.K. newspaper company, News International.
Prime Minister David Cameron, whose saw two close confidants' careers crushed by the scandal, was pushed to set up a judge-led inquiry into media ethics, which in turn exposed a culture of bullying, bribery and blackmail across the U.K. press.
Grant was one of the inquiry's first and most outspoken witnesses, testifying that a section of the British media had been "allowed to become toxic over the last 20 or 30 years."
A spokeswoman for News International, an arm of the New York-based News Corp., declined comment. Thomson said a statement would be made before England's High Court early in the new year.
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite