Hugh Hefner files for divorce in LA
- Photo: Scott Harrison/Retna Ltd.1 of 8
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 8
- Photo: Lee Roth / Roth Stock/Retna Ltd.3 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com4 of 8
- Photo: Retna Digital5 of 8
- Photo: WireImage.com6 of 8
- Photo: Retna Digital7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Morgan Freeman, Diane Keaton Comedy 'Ruth & Alex' Lands at Focus WorldMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Google, NewsCorp Slapped With Lawsuit Over MySpace SaleMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 4:17:00 PM
- 'Friday Night Lights' Zach Gilford, 'Desperate Housewives' JonatMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Joan Rivers' Selfie-Snapping Doctor Revealed as Throat Specialist to the Stars (Reports)MSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 4:05:00 PM
- Iggy Azalea Sues Her Ex-Boyfriend for Alleged Song Theft, ForgeryMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 3:59:00 PM
- Morgan Freeman, Diane Keaton Comedy 'Ruth & Alex' Lands at Focus World
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- After more than a decade of separation, Hugh Hefner is seeking an official return to his bachelor status. The Playboy founder filed for divorce on Friday from his wife and former Playmate, Kimberly.
Hefner is asking a judge to order him to pay Kimberly Conrad Hefner $20,000 a month in spousal support. That would be half of the $40,000 a month that the Playboy founder has been paying her since they separated in 1998, the records state.
He wants the monthly payments to end in two years, or after a trial on the couple's divorce is held, whichever comes first.
Hefner, the 83-year-old founder of Playboy magazine and its public ambassador, has been living with three girlfriends at the infamous Playboy Mansion. Their relationship has been the subject of the E! show "The Girls Next Door" since 2005.
Hefner and Kimberly Conrad Hefner were married in 1989, the same year she was named Playmate of the Year. They separated in 1998. Hefner continued to live at the mansion, and Kimberly Hefner moved into a home next door with the couple's two young sons.
Records show she filed for divorce around that time, but the petition was eventually withdrawn.
She sued Hefner last month, claiming he owes her $4 million under their prenuptial agreement and for proceeds from the sale of the home she is living in. Her lawsuit states Hefner agreed to pay her $250,000 per year for every year they were married after their fourth anniversary.
Hefner in his filings contends he paid his wife $750,000 when they separated, an amount he states he thought satisfied the prenuptial agreement.
Kimberly Hefner's attorney in the civil lawsuit did not return a phone message seeking comment on Wednesday.
Hefner states in court filings that he has paid almost $12 million to his wife and for her home since their separation.
The couple had two sons together, Marston and Cooper Hefner, who are now both in college.
Hefner, 83, states that he has paid his son's school expenses and will continue to do so.
Hefner founded Playboy magazine in 1953 and has since served as its pajama-clad public face.
In recent years, Hefner and his girlfriends — who have included Holly Madison, Kendra Wilkinson and Bridget Marquardt — have starred on "The Girls Next Door." His relationship with all three has since ended and he's now living with three new women, including twins.
More on Wonderwall:
More on MSN:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite