Hugh Jackman cries on '60 Minutes' remembering abandonment by his mother
- Photo: Eric Jamison/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA3 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet6 of 16
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: FlynetUK/Fame Flynet8 of 16
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin9 of 16
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Alexander Michael/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Carlos Costas/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
Hugh Jackman is, and always will be, a family man.
In an emotional interview with "60 Minutes" that aired on Dec. 9, the "Les Miserables" actor, 44, opened up again about his mother, Grace, abandoning his family when he was 8 years old -- moving across the world from Australia to England.
"I can remember the morning she left, it's weird the things you pick up," he said with tears in his eyes. "I remember her being in a towel around her head and saying goodbye -- must have been the way she said goodbye. As I went off to school, when I came back, there was no one there in the house. The next day there was a telegram from England. Mom was there. And then that was it. I don't think she thought for a second it would be forever. I think she thought it was, 'I just need to get away, and I'll come back.' Dad used to pray every night that Mom would come back."
Jackman was the youngest of five, and his father, Chris, took of the responsibility of his children as a single parent.
"My father is my rock," he explained. "It's where I learned everything about loyalty, dependability, being there, day in, day out, no matter what."
The actor is now a father himself to son, Oscar, and daughter, Ava, with wife Deborra-Lee Furness. "We never have more than two weeks apart," Furness, 57, said of balancing Jackman's career with family time. "We choose not to. We don't like it."
What advice does his father give him now?
"It's always about the family," "The Wolverine" star said while wiping tears off his face. "It's not about work."
"And I think that's him living with probably some of his regrets," Jackman explained of his father's advice. "And feelings [that] maybe he, at the wrong time, put too much in his career. And he doesn't want me to make me that mistake. In his gentle way, he always reminds me this is the most important thing."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Hugh Jackman Cries on 60 Minutes Remembering His Mother's Abandonment
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite