Hugh Jackman Opens Up About Wife Deborra-Lee Furness' 'Difficult' Miscarriages
- Photo: Eric Jamison/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks4 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com6 of 17
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks7 of 17
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet11 of 17
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage12 of 17
- Photo: FlynetUK/Fame Flynet13 of 17
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin14 of 17
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Becoming parents wasn't as easy as Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness had envisioned.
Appearing on ABC's "Katie" on Dec. 18, "Les Miserables" actor Jackman opened up about how their two children, son Oscar, 12, and daughter Ava, 7, changed their lives immeasurably.
"To be clear, Deb and I always wanted to adopt. So that was always in our plan," the 44-year-old Aussie explained. "We didn't know where in the process that would happen, but biologically, obviously, we tried and it was not happening for us, and it is a difficult time. We did IVF, and Deb had a couple of miscarriages. I'll never forget it, the miscarriage thing -- it happens to one in three pregnancies, but it's very, very rarely talked about."
"It's almost secretive, so I hope Deb doesn't mind me bringing it up now," he continued. "It's a good thing to talk about it. It's more common, and it is tough. There's a grieving that you have to go through."
From the moment their son was born, Jackman said, "all the heartache just melted away." (The couple wed in 1996; Oscar was born four years later.)
"Many of you are parents; you guys know you can't prepare for that moment. Nothing can prepare you," the People's Choice Award nominee added. "You can't even explain how incredible it is, and that avalanche of emotion that comes and how it opens up your heart, how it frustrates you, how it angers you, how everything is just all the sudden, how alive you are as a parent."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Hugh Jackman Opens Up About Wife Deborra-Lee Furness' "Difficult" Miscarriages
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Bethenny's Bikini Baby and More Celebritots
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
From Crowd Ignite