Hugh Jackman Opens Up About Wife Deborra-Lee Furness' 'Difficult' Miscarriages
- Photo: Eric Jamison/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks4 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com6 of 17
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks7 of 17
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: JD/Fame Flynet11 of 17
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage12 of 17
- Photo: FlynetUK/Fame Flynet13 of 17
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin14 of 17
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Michael Jackson Hologram Case Escalates to Restraining Order Over Hitler PictureMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Jenny McCarthy's New Reason for Ouster from 'The View:' She's ToMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:58:00 PM
- 'The Real' Draws Weak Premiere RatingsMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Arianna Huffington on HuffPost's Upcoming Middle East Edition, Doc Ambitions and 115 MillioMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Braves Blizzards in Latest 'Interstellar' Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:27:00 PM
- Michael Jackson Hologram Case Escalates to Restraining Order Over Hitler Picture
Becoming parents wasn't as easy as Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness had envisioned.
Appearing on ABC's "Katie" on Dec. 18, "Les Miserables" actor Jackman opened up about how their two children, son Oscar, 12, and daughter Ava, 7, changed their lives immeasurably.
"To be clear, Deb and I always wanted to adopt. So that was always in our plan," the 44-year-old Aussie explained. "We didn't know where in the process that would happen, but biologically, obviously, we tried and it was not happening for us, and it is a difficult time. We did IVF, and Deb had a couple of miscarriages. I'll never forget it, the miscarriage thing -- it happens to one in three pregnancies, but it's very, very rarely talked about."
"It's almost secretive, so I hope Deb doesn't mind me bringing it up now," he continued. "It's a good thing to talk about it. It's more common, and it is tough. There's a grieving that you have to go through."
From the moment their son was born, Jackman said, "all the heartache just melted away." (The couple wed in 1996; Oscar was born four years later.)
"Many of you are parents; you guys know you can't prepare for that moment. Nothing can prepare you," the People's Choice Award nominee added. "You can't even explain how incredible it is, and that avalanche of emotion that comes and how it opens up your heart, how it frustrates you, how it angers you, how everything is just all the sudden, how alive you are as a parent."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Hugh Jackman Opens Up About Wife Deborra-Lee Furness' "Difficult" Miscarriages
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Bethenny's Bikini Baby and More Celebritots
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite