'Hunger Games' Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 12
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN4 of 12
- Photo: JGM/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks7 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks8 of 12
- Photo: Thomas Padilla/Invision/AP9 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks10 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'The Money Shot' Theater Review: Neil LaBute Delivers a Poison-Pen Note to HollywoMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 5:00:00 PM
- 'NCIS' Drafts MTV's 'Awkward' Star Nikki DeLoach (ExcluMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 4:59:00 PM
- OK! Magazine Dumps Digital Team, Launches Search for New Staff (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 4:58:00 PM
- The Wire Shutting Down and Being Folded Into Atlantic Flagship SiteMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Dallas' Cast Rallies Fans to Watch Season Finale as TNT Mulls RenewalMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 4:07:00 PM
- 'The Money Shot' Theater Review: Neil LaBute Delivers a Poison-Pen Note to Hollywo
Actors Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi definitely hit it big when they landed the roles of Rue and Thresh, respectively, in "The Hunger Games."
But the relative unknowns playing tributes from District 11 in the dystopian saga (which scored a historic $155 million its opening weekend and rave reviews) are the subject of an offensive debate among a few, totally clueless fans of Suzanne Collins' blockbuster young adult novel, as pointed out at Jezebel.
Why? Although both Rue and Thresh are described as having "dark brown skin" in the book, some bigoted fans, oddly enough, object that both Stenberg and Okeniyi are black.
Complained one fan on Twitter: "Why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie."
Added another ignorant fan: "Why did the producer make all the good characters black?"
"Why is Rue a little black girl? Stick to the book, dude," said another.
In something of a spoiler tweet, another fan admitted he was "racist" when he learned of tragic Rue's racial identity.
Another tweeter even uttered the "N" word in decrying adorable African-American actress Amandla Stenberg's race.
"I'm still pissed that Rue is black," wrote another.
"Ewwww rue is black?? I'm not watching," another person wrote.
The Tumblr blog "Hunger Games" Tweets was first to decry the shocking, offensive trend. "The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust," the blogger wrote. "These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was 'some black girl' all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. ... This is a BIG problem."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Lady
From Crowd Ignite