'Hunger Games' Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 12
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN4 of 12
- Photo: JGM/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks7 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks8 of 12
- Photo: Thomas Padilla/Invision/AP9 of 12
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks10 of 12
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 5:12:35 PM
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Star Dann Florek Exits ShowMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 4:33:02 PM
- 'Blue Jasmine' Will Be Back in 300 Theaters After Cate Blanchett's AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:54:06 PM
- NBC's 'The Sound of Music Live' to Re-Air on SaturdayMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:51 PM
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Mama Joyce Rampage Earns Season-High RatingsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:22 PM
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'
Actors Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi definitely hit it big when they landed the roles of Rue and Thresh, respectively, in "The Hunger Games."
But the relative unknowns playing tributes from District 11 in the dystopian saga (which scored a historic $155 million its opening weekend and rave reviews) are the subject of an offensive debate among a few, totally clueless fans of Suzanne Collins' blockbuster young adult novel, as pointed out at Jezebel.
Why? Although both Rue and Thresh are described as having "dark brown skin" in the book, some bigoted fans, oddly enough, object that both Stenberg and Okeniyi are black.
Complained one fan on Twitter: "Why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie."
Added another ignorant fan: "Why did the producer make all the good characters black?"
"Why is Rue a little black girl? Stick to the book, dude," said another.
In something of a spoiler tweet, another fan admitted he was "racist" when he learned of tragic Rue's racial identity.
Another tweeter even uttered the "N" word in decrying adorable African-American actress Amandla Stenberg's race.
"I'm still pissed that Rue is black," wrote another.
"Ewwww rue is black?? I'm not watching," another person wrote.
The Tumblr blog "Hunger Games" Tweets was first to decry the shocking, offensive trend. "The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust," the blogger wrote. "These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was 'some black girl' all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. ... This is a BIG problem."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
Former "Housewife" Lydia McLaughlin dishes about leaving the "RHOC," her stance on plastic surgery and more!Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite