Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt sentenced in weapons case
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet1 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet2 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet3 of 7
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: GAUTAM SINGH/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Ladies' Home Journal Cuts Staff, Transitioning Into QuarterlyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:01:00 PM
- NBC's 'Community' Holds Down the Fort: See the Newest #SixSeasonsAndAMoviMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:00:00 PM
- Sony Veteran Steve Elzer Launches New PR Company Elzer and AssociatesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 11:52:00 AM
- Tom Hardy Explains His Approach to Acting: 'I See Myself as a Piece of Meat'MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 11:44:00 AM
- Avi Lerner Rips the President for Not Fighting Piracy: 'Obama is Scared of Google'MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 11:35:00 AM
- Ladies' Home Journal Cuts Staff, Transitioning Into Quarterly
NEW DELHI (AP) — India's Supreme Court sentenced Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt to five years in jail Thursday for illegal weapons possession in a case linked to a 1993 bombing that killed 257 people in Mumbai.
RELATED: Hottest Royal Beach Bods
The court ordered Sanjay to surrender to police within four weeks on the charge of possessing three automatic rifles and a pistol that were supplied to him by men subsequently convicted in the bombing.
The actor's case was part of a sprawling Mumbai bombing trial that has dragged on for 18 years. Sanjay maintains that he knew nothing about the bombing plot and that he asked for the guns to protect his family -- his mother was Muslim and his father Hindu -- after receiving threats during sectarian riots in Mumbai.
RELATED: Celebs Without Makeup
The Supreme Court had earlier sentenced Sanjay to six years in prison. He served 18 months in jail before he was released on bail in Nov. 2007 pending an appeal in the top court.
The court had earlier acquitted Sanjay of the more serious charges of terrorism and conspiracy.
RELATED: Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
Sanjay's lawyer Satish Maneshinde said the 53-year-old actor would take some time before deciding on his next step.
Despite his brush with the law and his stints in jail, Sanjay Dutt's Bollywood career flourished over the past two decades. He gained enormous popularity for a series of Hindi films in which he played the role of a reformed thug who follows the teachings of nonviolence advocate and Indian independence hero Mohandas Gandhi.
RELATED: Best TMI Tweets
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite