Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt sentenced in weapons case
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet1 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet2 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet3 of 7
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: BARM/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: GAUTAM SINGH/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social MeMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 12:17:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere More Than Doubles Original's RatinMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:59:00 AM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Season Debut Gets Theatrical RunMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- Exclusive: Mad Men's Rich Sommer Returning to ElementaryMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- VIDEO: Kathy Bates on Her Personal Ties to American Horror Story: Freak ShowMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:51:00 AM
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social Me
NEW DELHI (AP) — India's Supreme Court sentenced Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt to five years in jail Thursday for illegal weapons possession in a case linked to a 1993 bombing that killed 257 people in Mumbai.
RELATED: Hottest Royal Beach Bods
The court ordered Sanjay to surrender to police within four weeks on the charge of possessing three automatic rifles and a pistol that were supplied to him by men subsequently convicted in the bombing.
The actor's case was part of a sprawling Mumbai bombing trial that has dragged on for 18 years. Sanjay maintains that he knew nothing about the bombing plot and that he asked for the guns to protect his family -- his mother was Muslim and his father Hindu -- after receiving threats during sectarian riots in Mumbai.
RELATED: Celebs Without Makeup
The Supreme Court had earlier sentenced Sanjay to six years in prison. He served 18 months in jail before he was released on bail in Nov. 2007 pending an appeal in the top court.
The court had earlier acquitted Sanjay of the more serious charges of terrorism and conspiracy.
RELATED: Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
Sanjay's lawyer Satish Maneshinde said the 53-year-old actor would take some time before deciding on his next step.
Despite his brush with the law and his stints in jail, Sanjay Dutt's Bollywood career flourished over the past two decades. He gained enormous popularity for a series of Hindi films in which he played the role of a reformed thug who follows the teachings of nonviolence advocate and Indian independence hero Mohandas Gandhi.
RELATED: Best TMI Tweets
Where Are They?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHello Hotness!
From Crowd Ignite