Insurance broker charged with defrauding Tom Hanks
- Photo: Darrylee Cohen/Retna Ltd.1 of 13
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital10 of 13
- Photo: Gero Breloer/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A Southern California insurance broker was arrested Wednesday on allegations he overcharged Tom Hanks, musician Andy Summers and others hundreds of thousands of dollars for insurance premiums.
Jerry B. Goldman, who was arrested at his Thousand Oaks home, remained remain jailed Wednesday, U.S. attorney's spokesman Thom Mrozek said.
A federal grand jury in Los Angeles indicted him on Oct. 30 for fraud.
A call to his public defender, Yasmin Cader, was not immediately returned.
The indictment claims that between 1998 and last year, Goldman overcharged Hanks, Summers and two other victims more than $800,000 on insurance policies. He sent the insurance companies the premiums and kept the overcharged amount, prosecutors claim.
RELATED: Tom Hanks in drag
When clients asked him for copies of their insurance policies, Goldman sent them altered copies that didn't disclose the true premium "in order to lull his clients into a false sense of security" and keep them from suing him or seeking criminal prosecution, the indictment charged.
Details weren't released but the indictment says the term "insurance policies" in the document refers to coverage for everything from cars, property and fine art to flood, fire, earthquakes, worker's compensation and "personal employment practices liability."
Hanks and Summers were identified in the indictment as T.H. and A.S., but prosecutors confirmed their identities. The other alleged victims were identified only as M.W.H. and S.R.
Calls and emails seeking comment from representatives of Hanks and Summers were not immediately returned.
RELATED: Foxy celebs over 50
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite