Jada Pinkett Smith on open-marriage quotes: Will and I have 'grown' relationship
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: MediaPunch Inc/Rex USA3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Christian Lapid/StarTraks5 of 10
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN6 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: BSPSyndication/NPG8 of 10
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Lake Bell to Direct 'The Emperor's Children' for Brian Grazer, ImagineMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 4:15:00 PM
- Black TV Producer Mistaken for Bank Robber: Beverly Hills PD 'Deeply Regrets' ErroMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:46:00 PM
- Ad Spending to Hit Record $172 Billion Next Year; Digital to Overtake in 2017MSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:23:00 PM
- Pierce Brosnan Spy Thriller 'November Man' Targets Older Action Fans at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:09:00 PM
- 'Babel's' Adriana Barraza to Play Pablo Escobar's Mother in NetfMSNEntertainment 8/26/2014 3:00:00 PM
- Lake Bell to Direct 'The Emperor's Children' for Brian Grazer, Imagine
Jada Pinkett Smith wants to set the record straight about her marriage to Will Smith. Earlier this month, the actress spoke to HuffPost Live about the rumors that she and her husband of more than 14 years have an open relationship, telling the site that Smith "is his own man" and "can do whatever" he wants. Not surprisingly, her comments sparked some controversy about the definition of commitment -- so Pinkett Smith took to her Facebook page over the weekend to clarify what she said.
"Let me first say this, there are far more important things to talk about in regards to what is happening in the world than whether I have an open marriage or not," she wrote in a lengthy post on Sunday. "I am addressing this issue because a very important subject has been born from discussions about my statement that may be worthy of addressing."
The star, 41, then went on to voice her opinions about "the relationship between trust and love and how they co-exist." Framing her argument as a series of questions, she challenged her fans to consider what it means to share your life with another person.
"Do we believe loving someone means owning them? Do we believe that ownership is the reason someone should 'behave'?" she asked. "Do we believe that all the expectations, conditions, and underlying threats of 'you better act right or else' keep one honest and true? Do we believe that we can have meaningful relationships with people who have not defined nor live by the integrity of his or her higher self? What of unconditional love? Or does love look like, feel like, and operate as enslavement? Do we believe that the more control we put on someone the safer we are? What of TRUST and LOVE?"
"Should we be married to individuals who can not be responsible for themselves and their families within their freedom?" she continued. "Should we be in relationships with individuals who we can not entrust to their own values, integrity, and LOVE...for us???"
She then directly addressed her previous comment to HuffPost Live. "Here is how I will change my statement ... Will and I BOTH can do WHATEVER we want, because we TRUST each other to do so," she clarified. "This does NOT mean we have an open relationship ... this means we have a GROWN one."
This is not the first time the actress and her husband, 44 -- who have two kids, Willow, 12, and Jaden, 14 -- have had to defend their marriage. The couple have battled more than one false report of trouble in paradise, most memorably in the summer of 2011, when they were dogged by rumors about an affair between Pinkett Smith and her HawthoRN costar Marc Anthony. But it seems the questions have only brought them closer.
"Will is my best friend," she told HuffPost Live of the "Men in Black" actor. "He's been by my side for some of the most difficult parts of my life. You always have that for your foundation."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAnother Go
From Crowd Ignite