Jaden Smith, Will Smith laugh off emancipation rumors
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: Israel Leal/Invision/AP2 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Keypix/Splash News6 of 11
- Photo: E. Charbonneau/WireImage.com7 of 11
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com8 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 11
- Photo: Anthony Dixon/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
It's not Independence Day just yet for Jaden Smith. The nearly 15-year-old actor and his dad, Will Smith, sat down for a joint interview on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Wednesday, and set the record straight about rumors that Jaden is looking to get emancipated from his easy-going parents.
"See, here's the thing that you need to understand: I'm not going anywhere," Jaden told DeGeneres when asked about whether or not he'd requested to be considered an emancipated minor on July 8, his 15th birthday. "The thing that people don't get is everything at this house is free! So I can get anything and everything at his house, so I'm going to be there 20, 30 more years."
"He says as soon as I have a movie that's bigger than one of his movies, I can get my own house," the "Karate Kid" actor joked good-naturedly.
On Monday, U.K. publication The Sun reported that Will, 44, had expressed reluctant acceptance that Jaden wanted to be freed from the legal guardianship of his parents.
"He says, 'Dad, I want to be emancipated,'" The Sun quotes Will as saying. "I know if we do this, he can be an emancipated minor, because he really wants to have his own place, like ooh. That's the backlash. On the other side, if kids just want to have command of their lives, I understand."
Will, who stars opposite his son in upcoming M. Night Shyamalan sci-fi thriller "After Earth," clarified to DeGeneres that he had simply been making a joke that was taken out of context.
"I think I made a joke in Tokyo," he said, turning to Jaden to pinch his cheeks. "I mean ... my baby boy, he's never leaving me, ever. No emancipation for the Smith kids."
Not that Will and wife Jada Pinkett Smith are strict parents. The Smith family has similarly spoken out about giving their daughter Willow Smith, 12, freedom over her look -- without legal emancipation.
"This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don't belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self-determination," Jada wrote in a Facebook post on Nov. 21. "I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are her domain."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite