James Cameron's sub makes successful unmanned test dive
- Photo: Mark Thiessen/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: Wonderwall3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com4 of 10
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/GettyImages.com5 of 10
- Photo: Michael Buckner/GettyImages.com6 of 10
- Photo: MICHAEL MARIANT/Invision/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Linda with James Cameron in 1998/Gerard Burkhart/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
HONOLULU (AP) -- A submarine that will take "Titanic" director James Cameron to the Earth's deepest point has made a successful unmanned test dive.
Cameron tells National Geographic News that his specially designed submarine called Deepsea Challenger completed the nearly 7-mile test dive Wednesday. The team returned to calmer waters and was headed back to the site Saturday.
If all goes well, he'll spend about six hours exploring and filming the bottom of the Mariana Trench, about 200 miles southwest of the Pacific island of Guam.
RELATED: Billionaires With Extreme Hobbies
Swiss engineer Jacques Piccard and U.S. Navy Capt. Don Walsh are the only other men to reach the spot. They spent about 20 minutes there during their 1960 dive but couldn't see much after their sub kicked up sand from the sea floor.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite