James Franco opens up about Lindsay Lohan friendship
- Photo: Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: James Coldrey/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 13
- Photo: Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic7 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America8 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America10 of 13
- Photo: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept/Rex USA11 of 13
- Photo: WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the BooksMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:41:00 PM
- 'The Knick' Star Eve Hewson in Talks to Join Tom Hanks in Steven Spielberg Movie (MSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:10:00 PM
- Time Warner Board Moves to Block Potential Fox TakeoverMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:04:00 PM
- The Truth About Corey Stoll's Wig and Other Fun Facts About FX's The StrainMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:54 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 3:54:12 PM
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the Books
James Franco has opened up about his friendship with Lindsay Lohan, insisting he has tried to help the actress but has failed to keep her out of trouble.
The actor has known Lohan for many years, and they teamed up in 2011 to shoot a video for R.E.M. The video for the band's song "Blue," which was directed by Franco, didn't emerge until this year, and the actor says he grew close to Lohan around the time they shot the film last February.
He tells MTV.com, "Lindsay and I had reconnected at that time. I had been writing some poems about the Chateau Marmont (hotel in Los Angeles), and one or two of the poems involved Lindsay. ... I've known Lindsay for a while. It was at a moment where it seemed like she was doing OK. ... We'd have conversations on the phone, and she seemed like she was doing OK... I haven't talked to her in a long time because it seemed like she was getting into some more trouble. I've tried to help her."
Lohan, who has been in and out of jail and rehab over the last few years, attempted to stage a 2012 career comeback, but her fortunes took a turn for the worse amid a series of fresh legal troubles, and Franco admits he feels sorry for the troubled star.
He adds, "I think one of the reasons it's so hard is when she gets in trouble, she gets all this attention and I'm sure she gets book offers. Like, she goes to jail, and instead of feeling like I really hit a low place, she'll get a crazy offer for her jail memoir."
Lohan's probation from a theft charge was recently revoked amid allegations that the actress lied to police officers after crashing her Porsche in June, and she could face a year behind bars.
RELATED: Lindsay facing new charges
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy & Single
Check out some of Jennifer Lopez's sexiest ensembles she's rocked recently.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTI Can't Trust Men
From Crowd Ignite