James Franco opens up about Lindsay Lohan friendship
- Photo: Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: James Coldrey/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 13
- Photo: Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic7 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America8 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America10 of 13
- Photo: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept/Rex USA11 of 13
- Photo: WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- What 'True Detective' Creator Learned From Co-Writing That Despised 'KillMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:16:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Slices Up $3.3 Million Thursday OpeningMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:10:00 AM
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'God's Pocket' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 11:49:00 PM
- Newsweek's Alleged Bitcoin Creator Denies Story, Flees In LA Car ChaseMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 10:39:00 PM
- 'All the Way' Theater Review: Bryan Cranston Brings His Wildly Funny LBJ to BroadwMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 8:00:00 PM
- What 'True Detective' Creator Learned From Co-Writing That Despised 'Kill
James Franco has opened up about his friendship with Lindsay Lohan, insisting he has tried to help the actress but has failed to keep her out of trouble.
The actor has known Lohan for many years, and they teamed up in 2011 to shoot a video for R.E.M. The video for the band's song "Blue," which was directed by Franco, didn't emerge until this year, and the actor says he grew close to Lohan around the time they shot the film last February.
He tells MTV.com, "Lindsay and I had reconnected at that time. I had been writing some poems about the Chateau Marmont (hotel in Los Angeles), and one or two of the poems involved Lindsay. ... I've known Lindsay for a while. It was at a moment where it seemed like she was doing OK. ... We'd have conversations on the phone, and she seemed like she was doing OK... I haven't talked to her in a long time because it seemed like she was getting into some more trouble. I've tried to help her."
Lohan, who has been in and out of jail and rehab over the last few years, attempted to stage a 2012 career comeback, but her fortunes took a turn for the worse amid a series of fresh legal troubles, and Franco admits he feels sorry for the troubled star.
He adds, "I think one of the reasons it's so hard is when she gets in trouble, she gets all this attention and I'm sure she gets book offers. Like, she goes to jail, and instead of feeling like I really hit a low place, she'll get a crazy offer for her jail memoir."
Lohan's probation from a theft charge was recently revoked amid allegations that the actress lied to police officers after crashing her Porsche in June, and she could face a year behind bars.
RELATED: Lindsay facing new charges
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite