James Franco's "Maybe I'm Gay" Goes Viral for the Wrong ReasonsRelated: Op Ed, James Franco
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Candy/Promotional4 of 6
- Photo: Sonia Recchia/GettyImages.com5 of 6
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
By Drew Mackie
Riding a high off "127 Hours," actor James Franco doesn't need to do much to get the world to notice him. (Evidence of this fact: the multitude of blog posts devoted to his mustache.) But he made some serious waves Thursday when Entertainment Weekly posted an exclusive interview during which he said many things, including the sentence "Maybe I'm just gay." Guess what the world of gossip picked up on?
RELATED VIDEO: See celebs chat at the People's Choice Awards
It's too bad that most readers will only take away "Maybe I'm gay" from Entertainment Weekly's interview with Franco, because though he often makes wackadoo statements -- the kind one might say if he wanted attention, hypothetically speaking -- his explanation of why he played gay roles in "Milk" and "Howl" is well-reasoned. The article quotes Franco as saying, "There are lots of other reasons to be interested in gay characters than wanting myself to go out and have sex with guys ... And there are also lots of other aspects about these characters that I'm interested in, in addition to their sexuality." Franco goes on to say that he's played homosexual men in several different time periods, each one offering him new challenges as an actor who must struggle to play a different type of outsider. And then, as if to make fun of the simplistic logic of "gay roles = gay actor," he throws out a flippant "Or, you know what, maybe I'm just gay."
RELATED: Who will be the 'It Girl' of 2011?
See, because he's not gay any more than he is, say, an octopus, and even if he starred in a string of octopus-themed movies, nobody would start wondering if he were an octopus in real life. Celeb blog The Frisky does a good job explaining why Franco's reasoning is especially refreshing, especially coming from him. Noting that Franco has a habit of saying the kinds of things that generate headlines (he told James Lipton "Sometimes rabbits turn me on"), Frisky blogger Jessica Wakeman explains that Franco seemed to be using the possibility of being gay as a means to generate publicity, writing "I mean, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are the two most famous straight-men-who-played-it-gay actors and they never made one-fourth the kerfuffle that James Franco has." But Franco's most recent statements win praise. Wakeman writes, "It's extremely cool that there's someone in Hollywood who can talk knowledgeably about identity politics ... I dig the gender analysis, James."
RELATED: Trend report: celebs wearing capes
It's just too bad that most blogs couldn't take the time to examine all of Franco's words as closely as The Frisky did. Most posts on the matter say more or less "Franco Says 'Maybe I'm Gay,'" missing the point of what the actor was trying to say. Even The Advocate, the gay news publication of note, doesn't seem to bother with the implications of Franco's statement, saying only "The actor, who told The Advocate last summer that he is straight, is now raising eyebrows by suggesting otherwise in an interview with Entertainment Weekly." But maybe we can't really fault everyone else, when even Entertainment Weekly itself slapped the "Maybe I'm gay" in the headline.
In the end, Franco just deserves a little more credit for saying something intelligent, especially during a week when Mila Kunis got a deserved talking-to from Gawker for making the boneheaded statement "I'm a gay man in a straight woman's body." (Why is that stupid? Among other reasons, any follow-up she could give explaining her meaning would endorse one insulting gay stereotype or another.) Franco has seemed to tease his sexuality before, and for him to show that he really respects his past roles -- as well as future gay ones in upcoming biopics on Hart Crane and Sal Mineo -- shows that he really deserves all the praise he gets for being a thoughtful, skillful actor. And on our end of it, the celeb media needs to work a little harder to notice when celebs do something smart.
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite