James Gandolfini autopsy results confirm heart attack, funeral plans revealed
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: REED SAXON/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: STUART RAMSON/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Facebook/Last Chance Animal Rescue/.8 of 16
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA9 of 16
- Photo: Roscoe/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: Brian Flannery/Fame Flynet12 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet13 of 16
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA14 of 16
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA15 of 16
More Celeb News
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Auschwitz Selfie' Outrage: But You're Supposed to Take PicturesMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Marvel Announces Another 2018 ReleaseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:08:00 PM
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:45:00 PM
- 'Gotham' Creator on Why Batman Would Spell the End of the ShowMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:24:00 PM
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&
Autopsy results confirm that "The Sopranos" star James Gandolfini suffered a heart attack and died of natural causes on Wednesday, family friend Michael Kobold told reporters on Friday. The 51-year-old's sudden death instantly shocked and saddened fans worldwide. As previously reported, Gandolfini had been visiting Rome with family ahead of a scheduled Saturday appearance at the Taormina Film Festival in Sicily. "Today we received the results of the autopsy, which stated he died of a heart attack, of natural causes," Kobold said in Rome on Friday. "The autopsy further states that nothing else was found in his system."
Plans are underway to transport the star's body to the U.S. soon, Kobold said, "Once we have the clearance, we will put him on a flight to America. We expect that to be Wednesday, maybe Thursday, but we will keep you informed." A funeral is expected in NYC late next week. "We hope that it will be on Thursday, Friday, latest Saturday. [It] is up to the Italian authorities to decide how quickly."
In a heartbreaking detail, the star's manager confirmed that Michael, Gandolfini's 13-year-old son, found his father collapsed in his hotel room and immediately alerted hotel staff about the medical emergency.
The three-time Emmy winner was then transported to the Policlinico Umberto I hospital; Dr. Claudio Modini told Reuters and other outlets that paramedics attempted in vain to revive Gandolfini en route to the hospital.
"The resuscitation maneuvers, including heart massage, continued for 40 minutes and then, seeing no electric activity from the heart, this was interrupted and we declared James dead," Dr. Modini said.
Hollywood has been grieving the actor ever since news break of his death late Wednesday. "James was such an enormous talent, and an even greater spirit. I will be forever grateful for the privilege of working with him, and shall cherish his memories always," said Kathryn Bigelow, who directed Gandolfini in Zero Dark Thirty.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite