James Gandolfini's college pal stunned by will generosity
- Photo: Facebook/Last Chance Animal Rescue/.1 of 13
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.2 of 13
- Photo: FRIOLO, MRM, Bryan/NPG3 of 13
- Photo: Roscoe/Splash News4 of 13
- Photo: Splash News5 of 13
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA6 of 13
- Photo: DAVE ALLOCCA/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
James Gandolfini's college friend was stunned to learn his late pal had left him $50,000 in his will to help him take care of his autistic son.
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
"The Sopranos" star, who suffered a fatal heart attack in Rome in June, bequeathed the bulk of his estimated $70 million fortune to his 13-year-old son Michael, but he made sure his circle of close friends were also well looked after, and Doug Katz is in awe of the actor's generosity.
Katz was notified of the gift by Gandolfini's widow, Deborah Lin, and he plans to put the money in a trust fund for his 12-year-old son Andrew, who has autism.
He tells the New York Post, "I was shocked. He's my son's guardian angel."
Katz, who was Gandolfini's roommate during their time at Rutgers University in New Jersey, reveals that the actor was always looking out for Andrew.
Katz says, "He got him nutritional supplements, anything Andrew needed to help him lead a better life. Jim sponsored gymnastics for my son. He always said, 'How can we help? How can we make it better?' And none of it was lip service. "I'd rather have Jim alive than his money. You could never meet a nicer guy in the world."
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite