James Gandolfini's college pal stunned by will generosity
- Photo: Facebook/Last Chance Animal Rescue/.1 of 13
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.2 of 13
- Photo: FRIOLO, MRM, Bryan/NPG3 of 13
- Photo: Roscoe/Splash News4 of 13
- Photo: Splash News5 of 13
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA6 of 13
- Photo: DAVE ALLOCCA/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the BooksMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:41:00 PM
- 'The Knick' Star Eve Hewson in Talks to Join Tom Hanks in Steven Spielberg Movie (MSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:10:00 PM
- Time Warner Board Moves to Block Potential Fox TakeoverMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:04:00 PM
- The Truth About Corey Stoll's Wig and Other Fun Facts About FX's The StrainMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:54 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 3:54:12 PM
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the Books
James Gandolfini's college friend was stunned to learn his late pal had left him $50,000 in his will to help him take care of his autistic son.
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
"The Sopranos" star, who suffered a fatal heart attack in Rome in June, bequeathed the bulk of his estimated $70 million fortune to his 13-year-old son Michael, but he made sure his circle of close friends were also well looked after, and Doug Katz is in awe of the actor's generosity.
Katz was notified of the gift by Gandolfini's widow, Deborah Lin, and he plans to put the money in a trust fund for his 12-year-old son Andrew, who has autism.
He tells the New York Post, "I was shocked. He's my son's guardian angel."
Katz, who was Gandolfini's roommate during their time at Rutgers University in New Jersey, reveals that the actor was always looking out for Andrew.
Katz says, "He got him nutritional supplements, anything Andrew needed to help him lead a better life. Jim sponsored gymnastics for my son. He always said, 'How can we help? How can we make it better?' And none of it was lip service. "I'd rather have Jim alive than his money. You could never meet a nicer guy in the world."
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy & Single
Check out some of Jennifer Lopez's sexiest ensembles she's rocked recently.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Party
From Crowd Ignite