James Gandolfini's college pal stunned by will generosity
- Photo: Facebook/Last Chance Animal Rescue/.1 of 13
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.2 of 13
- Photo: FRIOLO, MRM, Bryan/NPG3 of 13
- Photo: Roscoe/Splash News4 of 13
- Photo: Splash News5 of 13
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA6 of 13
- Photo: DAVE ALLOCCA/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Orange Is the New Black' to Bring Lori Petty Back for Season 3MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 12:22:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth to a Baby Girl!MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 11:55:00 AM
- David Oyelowo is Martin Luther King, Jr. in First 'Selma' Pics (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 11:37:00 AM
- How Choreography Lifted a Mother and Son 'Off Ground': TheWrap's ShortlisMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 11:19:00 AM
- Man charged in biting attack at LollapaloozaMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 10:30:42 AM
- 'Orange Is the New Black' to Bring Lori Petty Back for Season 3
James Gandolfini's college friend was stunned to learn his late pal had left him $50,000 in his will to help him take care of his autistic son.
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
"The Sopranos" star, who suffered a fatal heart attack in Rome in June, bequeathed the bulk of his estimated $70 million fortune to his 13-year-old son Michael, but he made sure his circle of close friends were also well looked after, and Doug Katz is in awe of the actor's generosity.
Katz was notified of the gift by Gandolfini's widow, Deborah Lin, and he plans to put the money in a trust fund for his 12-year-old son Andrew, who has autism.
He tells the New York Post, "I was shocked. He's my son's guardian angel."
Katz, who was Gandolfini's roommate during their time at Rutgers University in New Jersey, reveals that the actor was always looking out for Andrew.
Katz says, "He got him nutritional supplements, anything Andrew needed to help him lead a better life. Jim sponsored gymnastics for my son. He always said, 'How can we help? How can we make it better?' And none of it was lip service. "I'd rather have Jim alive than his money. You could never meet a nicer guy in the world."
Get out the vote
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite