- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 10
Jared Leto, who signed on to the flick just a few weeks ago, has already undergone a dramatic transformation for his part in the drama -- debuting a newly scary-skinny bod, and shaving off his eyebrows -- in order to play a transsexual woman with AIDS in 1980s Texas.
Despite his intense weight-loss process -- Leto told Vulture at the IFP Gotham Awards in New York on Tuesday that he's been fasting for the last month or so -- the actor says he's more concerned with mastering his character's grooming techniques, like waxing his body (and facial) hair.
"Your body goes through weird stages [when fasting]," he shared. "Sometimes it's hard to hold on to water. But for me, it's not about the most weight I can lose, it's more to represent the character. I'm focused on what it means to be a transsexual woman."
As hungry as he might be (he admitted to feeling lightheaded), Leto, 40, is also doing his best to look on the bright side.
"Historically, people have [fasted] for pursuit of self, to achieve a meditative state, so I'm hoping for that, and not the other things," he said, laughing. "It's not necessarily a bad thing."
Keep clicking to look back at Jared's transformation for the role ...
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Jared Leto Opens Up About "Dallas Buyers Club" Weight Loss, Shaving His Eyebrows
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite