Jennifer Hudson hosts charity event to mark late nephew's birthday
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: AB5/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: STICKMAN/Bauer-Griffin3 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.4 of 16
- Photo: LEON/GSI5 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.6 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/.8 of 16
- Photo: Kristina Bumphrey/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: @IAMJHUD/Twitter10 of 16
- Photo: Hugh Dillon/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: PN2/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson broke down in tears on Tuesday as she hosted a charity event in her native Chicago in honor of her late nephew, the day he would have celebrated his 11th birthday.
Julian King was shot dead by his estranged stepfather William Balfour in 2008 in a horrific triple murder, in which Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother, Jason Hudson, were also killed at their home in the city.
RELATED Trouble With the Law
The "Dreamgirls" star and her sister, Julia, the mother of the tragic seven year old, set up the Julian King Foundation after his death, and on Tuesday they hosted the second annual Hatch Day event, named after a phrase King thought up to celebrate happy occasions.
During the event at the Kroc Community Center, the pair handed out school supplies to low-income students in Chicago, and Hudson teared up as she mingled with the youngsters on what Mayor Rahm Emanuel proclaimed to be Julian King Hatch Day.
During an interview with WGNtv.com, she says, "To be able to turn such a negative around and make it a positive thing ... seeing this is like 'wow'. What's the point of being who you are if you can't make a difference? If you can't help someone else?"
Hudson also took to her Twitter page to mark the special day, writing, "Happy 11th birthday to my late nephew Julian King! We will celebrate u (sic) always! Happy 'Hatch Day' to u all!"
The Julian King Foundation was set up to help underprivileged kids in the Chicago area.
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite