Jennifer Hudson hosts charity event to mark late nephew's birthday
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: AB5/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: STICKMAN/Bauer-Griffin3 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.4 of 16
- Photo: LEON/GSI5 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.6 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/.8 of 16
- Photo: Kristina Bumphrey/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: @IAMJHUD/Twitter10 of 16
- Photo: Hugh Dillon/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: PN2/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson broke down in tears on Tuesday as she hosted a charity event in her native Chicago in honor of her late nephew, the day he would have celebrated his 11th birthday.
Julian King was shot dead by his estranged stepfather William Balfour in 2008 in a horrific triple murder, in which Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother, Jason Hudson, were also killed at their home in the city.
RELATED Trouble With the Law
The "Dreamgirls" star and her sister, Julia, the mother of the tragic seven year old, set up the Julian King Foundation after his death, and on Tuesday they hosted the second annual Hatch Day event, named after a phrase King thought up to celebrate happy occasions.
During the event at the Kroc Community Center, the pair handed out school supplies to low-income students in Chicago, and Hudson teared up as she mingled with the youngsters on what Mayor Rahm Emanuel proclaimed to be Julian King Hatch Day.
During an interview with WGNtv.com, she says, "To be able to turn such a negative around and make it a positive thing ... seeing this is like 'wow'. What's the point of being who you are if you can't make a difference? If you can't help someone else?"
Hudson also took to her Twitter page to mark the special day, writing, "Happy 11th birthday to my late nephew Julian King! We will celebrate u (sic) always! Happy 'Hatch Day' to u all!"
The Julian King Foundation was set up to help underprivileged kids in the Chicago area.
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite