Jennifer Hudson hosts charity event to mark late nephew's birthday
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: AB5/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: STICKMAN/Bauer-Griffin3 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.4 of 16
- Photo: LEON/GSI5 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/Invision for Pampers/.6 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/.8 of 16
- Photo: Kristina Bumphrey/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: @IAMJHUD/Twitter10 of 16
- Photo: Hugh Dillon/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: PN2/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson broke down in tears on Tuesday as she hosted a charity event in her native Chicago in honor of her late nephew, the day he would have celebrated his 11th birthday.
Julian King was shot dead by his estranged stepfather William Balfour in 2008 in a horrific triple murder, in which Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, and brother, Jason Hudson, were also killed at their home in the city.
RELATED Trouble With the Law
The "Dreamgirls" star and her sister, Julia, the mother of the tragic seven year old, set up the Julian King Foundation after his death, and on Tuesday they hosted the second annual Hatch Day event, named after a phrase King thought up to celebrate happy occasions.
During the event at the Kroc Community Center, the pair handed out school supplies to low-income students in Chicago, and Hudson teared up as she mingled with the youngsters on what Mayor Rahm Emanuel proclaimed to be Julian King Hatch Day.
During an interview with WGNtv.com, she says, "To be able to turn such a negative around and make it a positive thing ... seeing this is like 'wow'. What's the point of being who you are if you can't make a difference? If you can't help someone else?"
Hudson also took to her Twitter page to mark the special day, writing, "Happy 11th birthday to my late nephew Julian King! We will celebrate u (sic) always! Happy 'Hatch Day' to u all!"
The Julian King Foundation was set up to help underprivileged kids in the Chicago area.
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPrivacy Request
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite