Jennifer Lawrence Reveals She Had Therapy for Social Anxiety: 'I Felt Worthless'
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Jacques Brinon/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: AP/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN7 of 16
- Photo: WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Richfoto/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Richfoto/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA12 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA13 of 16
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: Jochen Zick/StarTraks15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's ExcelleMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:00:00 PM
- Judge Approves Los Angeles Clippers Sale to Steve Ballmer, Regardless of AppealMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:50:00 PM
- Fan Who Threatened Michael Strahan Claims His Lawyer Is Part of the IlluminatiMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:26:00 PM
- The Bachelorette Finale: Who Did Andi Choose?MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:05:00 PM
- 'Once Upon a Time' Expands 'Frozen' Cast With Tyler Jacob Moore MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 6:48:00 PM
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's Excelle
Jennifer Lawrence is one of the most in-demand, well-liked stars in Hollywood. But her life hasn't always been as easy breezy as it appears to be now. In a new interview with French magazine Madame Figaro, the 23-year-old "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" actress opens up about her childhood struggle with social anxiety.
"My nickname was 'Nitro,' as in nitroglycerin," she tells the mag (translated from French). "I was hyperactive, curious about everything. When my mother told me about my childhood, she always told me there was like a light in me, a spark that inspired me constantly. When I entered school, the light went out. We never knew what it was, a kind of social anxiety. But I had friends."
At one point, the Oscar winner says, she sought help from a therapist -- to no avail. "I went to see a shrink," she explains. "Nothing worked."
That is, until she discovered acting. "One day, I begged my parents to take me to a casting," the actress tells the mag. "We went to New York, and that's where I started acting. Just on stage, my mother saw the change that was taking place in me. She saw my anxieties disappear. She found her daughter, the one who had this light and joy before school."
Lawrence, in turn, found her passion. "I finally found a way [to] open the door to a universe that I understood, that was good for me and made me happy, because I felt capable, whereas before I felt worthless," she says.
The "Silver Linings Playbook" star is more than just capable. But she doesn't let her success go to her head. "I want my life as normal as possible," she tells Madame Figaro. "One of the dangers in the film industry is that things are too fast ... I want to keep it simple."
One thing that helps? Her best friend. "At the end of a day of shooting, I can go home and hang out with her," she says, "do what we do ... and not share time with someone who works for me."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite