Jennifer Lawrence Reveals She Had Therapy for Social Anxiety: 'I Felt Worthless'
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Jacques Brinon/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: AP/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Sean Thorton/WENN7 of 16
- Photo: WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Richfoto/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Richfoto/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA12 of 16
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA13 of 16
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: Jochen Zick/StarTraks15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Maze Runner' Races to $1.1 Million in Late Thursday Night ScreeningsMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 8:10:00 AM
- Color lines are blurred in ABC comedy 'black-ish'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 8:07:13 AM
- Artist says tax case shows China's dark sideMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 7:49:04 AM
- Liam Neeson, Denzel Washington Face Off in Action Movie SmackdownMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 7:21:00 AM
- Scout and Talullah Willis Share a Naked Bath TogetherMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 7:03:00 AM
- 'Maze Runner' Races to $1.1 Million in Late Thursday Night Screenings
Jennifer Lawrence is one of the most in-demand, well-liked stars in Hollywood. But her life hasn't always been as easy breezy as it appears to be now. In a new interview with French magazine Madame Figaro, the 23-year-old "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" actress opens up about her childhood struggle with social anxiety.
"My nickname was 'Nitro,' as in nitroglycerin," she tells the mag (translated from French). "I was hyperactive, curious about everything. When my mother told me about my childhood, she always told me there was like a light in me, a spark that inspired me constantly. When I entered school, the light went out. We never knew what it was, a kind of social anxiety. But I had friends."
At one point, the Oscar winner says, she sought help from a therapist -- to no avail. "I went to see a shrink," she explains. "Nothing worked."
That is, until she discovered acting. "One day, I begged my parents to take me to a casting," the actress tells the mag. "We went to New York, and that's where I started acting. Just on stage, my mother saw the change that was taking place in me. She saw my anxieties disappear. She found her daughter, the one who had this light and joy before school."
Lawrence, in turn, found her passion. "I finally found a way [to] open the door to a universe that I understood, that was good for me and made me happy, because I felt capable, whereas before I felt worthless," she says.
The "Silver Linings Playbook" star is more than just capable. But she doesn't let her success go to her head. "I want my life as normal as possible," she tells Madame Figaro. "One of the dangers in the film industry is that things are too fast ... I want to keep it simple."
One thing that helps? Her best friend. "At the end of a day of shooting, I can go home and hang out with her," she says, "do what we do ... and not share time with someone who works for me."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite